World on a Plate: Architectural Evolution of Kitchens in Diverse Cultures | Teen Ink

World on a Plate: Architectural Evolution of Kitchens in Diverse Cultures

February 7, 2024
By zoegoldman BRONZE, Manhattan Beach, California
zoegoldman BRONZE, Manhattan Beach, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The kitchen is essential in homes to create traditions and keep them alive. In various cultures, the architecture of kitchens looks different depending on its intended purpose, specifically the food it expects to create. Different cultures and cuisines influence the specific appliances, placements, and customs in the given space. By looking into specific countries, we can recognize how residential architecture varies depending on the intended purpose of the local culture.

India’s strong culture represents itself through the commonly eaten food. Indians are known to love spices and curries with sweet ingredients.  To satisfy cultural and religious norms, Indian kitchens are designed to make the best vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals.  Pressure cookers, Tandor ovens, and expansive spice racks enhance the chef's ability to create dishes with unique tastes. Usually, there will not be a table to eat on. Instead, Indians prefer to eat on the floor to stay more connected to the earth.

         Hong Kong, along with much of China and Taiwan, is a densely populated region with high real estate values impacting the size of homes and, thus, the kitchen.  At the same time, the kitchen must be efficient to quickly prepare the local meals such as wontons, bao, and chicken dishes, which have short cooking times.  These local kitchens must be well-ventilated as woks and steamers cook at extreme temperatures to facilitate the preparation of the local cuisine. The kitchens are designed to maximize storage, in order to be effective.

         Italy is known for different forms of pizza and pasta. They are very open large spaces, with expansive countertops and wood-fired ovens to cook their pizza in.  Families and friends working together to prepare meals and eat as a group is central to Italian culture.   The kitchen design allows families to make traditional dough and pasta - Teamwork to cook their food together. The kitchens reflect the freshness of the food, so the kitchen's designs are known to be clean-looking.

Kitchens in Spain reflect the colorful culture.  Terracotta floors, bold colors, patterned tile back-splashes, wood accents, and arches highlight Spanish kitchen design.  Large cooking surfaces are typical for preparing local specialties, such as paella.  Similar to Italy, meals are a time to come together, enjoy family and friends, and celebrate the day and, more significantly, life. The kitchens are specifically designed to be bright and colorful, creating a more welcoming and inclusive feeling when entering a room.

Kitchen design provides a window into the local culture.  Food is essential to life and says a lot about the people.  Where we prepare our food provides insights into these people’s values, views of family and friends, and their perspective as to what is essential to living a thoroughly enjoyable life. By having kitchens that are easy to accommodate local foods and culture, it is simpler to bring people closer together with each other and their personal cultures.  


The author's comments:

This article explores the different variations of kitchens throughout the world, explaining the visual and functional reasoning for these design choices.