The Peacock Mantis Shrimp: A Wonder of Nature | Teen Ink

The Peacock Mantis Shrimp: A Wonder of Nature

February 3, 2024
By James159753 SILVER, Chiang Mai, Other
James159753 SILVER, Chiang Mai, Other
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In a stunning speed of fifty miles per hour, applying a staggering power of 8,000 G’s within a staggering range of less than two milliseconds, the thing you are seeing is not one of the modern stunner images but rather the fastest strike in the collection of all animals.

Referred to by mainstream researchers as “nature’s sea-going wonder,” the peacock mantis shrimp presents the astonishing ability to penetrate the victim’s skull and create a complete cavitation of the surrounding water.By the by, the inquiry continues: The question is how does this tiny four-inch animal release powers beyond its own burden by a factor of one thousand?

Instead of most falsely constructed materials with readily constructed nuclear layers, the shrimp’s unique club peers to nature for a template. It strings its strands at different points, forming a winding likened to a helicoid structure capable of withstanding forces exceeding 2,000 Newtons. This club consists of three most important layers, which are meant for hitting powerful strikes. The base layer consists of hydroxyapatite, a mineral that is similar to that present in human hair and teeth, however here it shows a glassy structure with increased toughness. The next layer has a softer form of the same mineral; each layer slightly twisted to add to the characteristic helicoidal structure that is now evident to researchers. Chitin layers at the third level prevent the development of effective action by the club.

Now imagine using this marvelous design in common uses. Although this peculiarity has been known by researchers and specialists for several years, it is only the major research that was begun in 2014 by the University of California, Riverside which is just now starting to infiltrate various fields. At this point, the best design available in aviation sector is piling of carbon-fiber sheets at zero degrees, 45 degrees right, 45 degrees left and then 90 degrees. Regardless, if these materials were stacked as a helicoid structure, the potential influence is completely theoretical!

According to this creative approach, the inner strength and durability could increase up to 74% higher, influence resistance by more than 50%, and load-bearing capacity by over 92%. You don’t have to be Albert Einstein to appreciate the tremendous impact of these numbers on entire industries.

However, despite the fact that figures are certainly extraordinary, real execution is where the genuine enchantment happens. This is a significant construction that operates in tandem with the creation of composites lighter, stronger and cheaper which, when incorporated into vehicles, will substantially reduce carbon dioxide emissions and leave a small carbon footprint. When our planet’s state of health is in critical condition, this could be a key point where major reformation is required.

With such a discovery becoming the first wave in a tide of miraculous materials on their way, researchers continue to find inspiration from nature’s richness. We are going for a trip that represents nature, instead of trying to remove its beauty.