Impact of Divorce On Children | Teen Ink

Impact of Divorce On Children

By Hadi-tariq07 BRONZE, Lahore, Other
Hadi-tariq07 BRONZE, Lahore, Other

The family is a fundamental aspect of society, and divorce, a common occurrence, significantly affects children. This paper explores whether divorce contributes to the challenges children face. Divorce can lead children to believe they are responsible for the separation, impacting their mental health (Tash, 2021). This topic is personal to me, given the prevalence of divorced parents among those I know.

Research Aims:

This report aims to raise awareness about divorce's impact on children, their reactions, and ways to support them.

Research Methodology:

The primary research method is a questionnaire targeting divorced individuals or those with divorced parents. Secondary sources include credible articles, books, and websites.

Issue:

Causes: Lack of commitment is the primary cause of divorce, followed by infidelity and other factors like excessive arguing, marrying young, financial issues, substance abuse, and abuse . These factors contribute to the high divorce rates globally.

Consequences: Divorce can lead to anxiety, depression, and trust issues in children. It affects their views on commitment, relationships, and family dynamics, impacting their behavior and mental well-being.

Analysis Between Causes and Consequences: Children may internalize the lack of commitment as their fault, affecting their future relationships. This can instill a fear of commitment and influence their own relationships later in life.

Cultural Perspectives: Divorce is perceived differently worldwide. Western countries like the US and Canada have more liberal views on divorce, while in countries like Pakistan and India, there's still stigma attached to it.

Local Perspective / Survey Answers: A survey of 28 individuals aged 12-19 with divorced parents showed that divorce significantly impacts children, emphasizing the need for awareness and support.

International Organization: "Kids Matter" is a nonprofit aiding children of divorced parents globally, advocating for their rights in family courts.

Course of Action:

Organizations like the Pakistan Council of Family Relations and Aurat Foundation support families in Pakistan post-divorce. The UN and EU provide assistance and regulations to aid single parents and their children.

Defense:

Despite its challenges, divorce can offer benefits like personal growth and the opportunity for healthier relationships.

Evaluation of Sources:

All sources were cross-checked for accuracy and relevance to ensure the credibility of the information presented.

Conclusion:

Divorce undoubtedly impacts children, influencing their emotional well-being and future relationships. It's crucial to provide support for children and parents navigating divorce.

Bibliography:

Aurat Foundation. (2022, January ). Aurat. Retrieved from af: af.org.pk/

Family Means. (2021). What Are the Effects of Divorce on Children? Retrieved from Family Means: familymeans.org/effects-of-divorce-on-children.html

Gjelten, E. (n.d.). How Common is Divorce and What are the Reasons? Retrieved from Your divorce quesitons: yourdivorcequestions.org/how-common-is-divorce/

infofinland. (2021). Finland In Your Language. Retrieved from infofinland: infofinland.fi/en/living-in-finland/family/different-kinds-of-families/single-parent-families#wrapper

Khan, S. (2021, June 17). Washington Post. Retrieved from WashingtonPost: washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/06/17/why-malalas-vogue-uk-interview-put-pakistan-marriage-panic/

Kids Matter. (2020). Kids Matter. Retrieved from kidsmatter: kidsmatter.charity/#:~:text=Kids%20Matter%20is%20a%20nonprofit,through%20the%20family%20court%20system.

Maddox & Gerock. (2020, October 5). Children struggle with guilt in a parents’ divorce. Retrieved from Maddox & Gerock: maddoxandgerock.com/blog/2020/10/children-struggle-with-guilt-in-a-parents-divorce/

Morin, A. (2021, February 21). The Psychological Effects of Divorce on Children. Retrieved from Very Well Family: verywellfamily.com/psychological-effects-of-divorce-on-kids-4140170

PakNGO. (2022, January ). PakNGO's. Retrieved from pakngo: pakngos.com.pk/listing/pakistan-council-of-family-relations/

Rheinstein, M. (2022, january ). jstor. Retrieved from jstor: jstor.org/stable/1190354

Rutkevich, J. (2022, January). lifehack . Retrieved from lifehack.org: lifehack.org/531389/10-advantages-that-comes-with-divorce

Shaw, G. (2019, February 1). These are the 11 most common reasons people get divorced, ranked. Retrieved from Insider: insider.com/why-people-get-divorced-2019-1

Tash, J. (2021). Why Divorce Is So Common In Today’s Society (The Sad Truth). Retrieved from BTL Family Law: btlfamilylaw.com/why-couples-divorce/

Tash, J. (n.d.). Why Divorce Is So Common In Today’s Society (The Sad Truth).

UN. (2022, January ). UNJSPF. Retrieved from UNJSPF: un.org/other/afics/sites/www.un.org.other.afics/files/pf-pdf-divorce_booklet.pdf

What Europe Does For Me. (2020, 5 29). In My Life. Retrieved from What Europe Does For Me: what-europe-does-for-me.eu/en/portal/2/A02

WIlson & Finkbeiner . (2021). DIVORCE STATISTICS: OVER 115 STUDIES, FACTS AND RATES FOR 2020. Retrieved from Wf Lawyers: wf-lawyers.com/divorce-statistics-and-facts/

Wita, D. (2021, February 9). She the People . Retrieved from shethepeople: shethepeople.tv/top-stories/opinion/normalise-divorce/

This piece was written as a part of a school project but turned into much more. It turned into a goal and aim for the student who wrote it. Spending countless hours trying to figure out the impacts and causes for it. The student believes that everyone should be educated on this topic as it can happen to anyone. We should be able to help and not make children feel like they are alone in this matter.