Somalia’s Hunger crisis | Teen Ink

Somalia’s Hunger crisis

May 4, 2023
By ElaM ELITE, Surrey, Columbia
ElaM ELITE, Surrey, Columbia
310 articles 24 photos 117 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I was ashamed of myself when I realized life was a costume party; and I attended with my real face.” ~Franz Kafka


Topping the watchlist for the first time, Somalia is facing an unprecedented drought and hunger crisis. People have already lost their lives due to starvation and the country is on the brink of a long-lasting famine. Somalia’s crisis is no” natural disaster,” as human caused climate change has increased the frequency rates and high chances of droughts. In the face of this devastating crisis, the Action Against Hunger Program has helped 490,238 people (about half the population of South Dakota) with only 85 employees at the time! The Action Against Hunger’s teams address the underlying causes of malnutrition. They improve the access to clean water, carrying out measle vaccination campaigns, run cholera treatment centers, and provide supplies and education to promote hygiene. Immediate action from other sources is needed to avert a humanitarian catastrophe. This includes peace between countries and to stop free global waste of food. All our direct food waste could go for saving 90% of Somalia’s population. Spinning across the globe, Canada on the other hand, has donated $41.65 million to fight against the Somalian hunger. To save our world, we must advocate for issues that matter such as world hunger, water crisis and many more that jeopardize our population globally. Decades of conflict throughout our world’s history have eroded the ability to help others in need. When the last tree is cut, when the last fish is caught and the last river is polluted; when breathing the air is too sickening, you will realize, too late, that wealth is not in bank accounts, and we cannot eat money. Preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we have ever known. Please Mother Earth, teach us to walk and care for the soft Earth, as she is the only blood strings we are attached to.