Did You Know You Can Get Sick From Too Much Homework | Teen Ink

Did You Know You Can Get Sick From Too Much Homework

By brodybanitt BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
brodybanitt BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Did you know that some people actually get sick from getting too much homework? Some students are being assigned way too much homework. I'm going to talk about how some people don't have the time to do it, what amount of homework should be assigned, how it's bad for you, and what the side effects could be. 

Harris Cooper, professor of psychology and director of the education program at Duke University, “points to the “The 10-Minute Rule” formulated by the National PTA and the National Education Association, which suggests that kids should be doing about 10 minutes of homework per night per grade level”. For example, a first grader should have 10 minutes of homework, a fifth grader should have fifty minutes of homework, and a ninth grader should have ninety minutes of homework. Some kids are getting way more homework than they should be getting and it can acutely make them sick. 

Too much homework can be bad for kids because it can cause elevated stress levels and are exposed to stress related health problems that could possibly lead to stress, anxiety, and depression. According to an article on March 22 2014, in CBS News entitled, Study: Too Much Homework Can Make Your Child Sick, “They were able to determine that excessive homework is associated with high stress levels, physical health problems, and lack of balance in children's lives”. It can also consume the time that kids use to rest or socialize with their families and for the kids who have sports and don't have time to do it could possibly lead to sleep deprivation from them cramping in their homework late at night. 

Some people can't afford to have a ton of homework because they have extracurriculars to attend. Some kids are in multiple extracurriculars that can be very time consuming and by the time they go to do their homework it's late at night and like i said earlier, that can cause sleep deprivation. There's also people who live on farms might have time consuming chores to attend to so by the time they get back from there extracurricular and get there chores done they have no more time to do homework. 

Having too much homework can lead to many problems and with that extra homework come some side effects.According to an article on March 22 2014, in CBS News entitled, Study: Too Much Homework Can Make Your Child Sick, “We found a clear connection between the students' stress and physical impacts – migraines, ulcers and other stomach problems, sleep deprivation and exhaustion, and weight loss”. Too much homework can lead to stress and anxiety, that lead to health problems such as sleep deprivation, weight loss, stomach problems and headaches. 

In conclusion this is why kids should not be given too much homework and what could happen if they do. I have explained how kids could get sick from too much homework and this is why you should not get more than 10 minutes of homework for each grade level.