What The United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What The United States Flag Stands For

By arrowheadstudent SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
arrowheadstudent SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

The country was shocked to hear about the tragic events of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Those same strong emotions of anger, grief, or sadness were what motivated millions of Americans to band together under one flag: a symbol of unity, and bring our country the justice it was owed. 

From the last battle of The Revolutionary War when it was still hanging after the smoke rose to being painted on the side of rockets we sent to other planets. The flag has been around for hundreds of years now hanging from houses, blowing in the wind on a school's flagpole or, hanging still on the moon. The flag has always brought the country together through the toughest times. 

During the attacks of September 11th, 2001 people didn't know what would happen. Would there be a world war? Would there be other attacks? Would it ever be safe to fly again? Nobody knew, but when the smoke cleared our nation was still standing and would be united again under the flag as we fought back against the foreign nations.

As the country prepared for our counter attack the flags were lowered to half staff in honor of the innocent people who died and the heroes who tried to protect them. The flag is never lowered all the way though, and I think that that is a symbol of perseverance, A symbol that no matter how bad things get our flags will still be flying and will always be uniting our country.