perspective can change the world | Teen Ink

perspective can change the world

By AsH-K SILVER, Phx, Arizona
AsH-K SILVER, Phx, Arizona

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
-oscar wilde

When looking at ourselves, we see mirrors, we relate ourselves to the people around us. Most of the time we see all humans as equal, we see ourselves in others. This leads to our sense of morality. But is this the sole standpoint we should consider when discussing how we treat others? Of course, seeing ourselves in others is essential, and a great way we ensure that we are being moral towards each other. This method is something we’ve ingrained into ourselves since childhood. Kindergartners are being told the golden rule “treat others the way you want to be treated”, adults are told not to be racist, although some of them struggle more than the kindergartners. So why is this classic rule not a standstill defense against immoral actions?

To understand this we have to take a look at ourselves from an outside perspective. Not just from the perspective of our peers but rather from a more holistic viewpoint. One that goes beyond how we see each other, one that goes beyond the grounds we are used to thinking on. The perspective we need to take is the universe we don't fully understand. We’ve heard that we are small specs in the universe. In the grand scheme of things, we are insignificant. Now whether or not that's true is a moral question that I have no qualifications to comment on. But if we take this principle into consideration then we can entertain the idea that we are just specs, but with the same logic, it's not just us, it's everything. In terms of relativeness to our surroundings, when seen in the scope of the universe, from a spiritual, or even non-earthly bound perspective, it becomes clear that we aren't that different. In the grand scheme of things, what is the difference between us and a flower, a ladybug, a lion, or a fish? It has never been you or I, it has always been we, the problem is you and I seem to struggle to see that. 

It is of no fault of ours either, when a lion is given the choice he would have no problem choosing a member of his pack over a human. Dolphins, wolves, bugs, so many species that operate as a group, as a collective. This concept is especially familiar to you and me, the difference is we live in collectives that go beyond a couple of dozen, we live in collectives that go into the millions. Our collectives have one major difference from the ones in wolves, dolphins, bugs, and lions. We don't just focus on survival, we push for expansion, this expansion includes hurting each other, as well as hurting our environment, other animals, and even plants. Why? Why does the difference get outlined so heavily between the way humans treat the world vs animals. This can be chalked down to many factors: greed, abuse of power, and even lack of care. Yet one that many of us don't seem to take into consideration is the way humans perceive the world. When a lion thinks in its self-interest, its always only thinking of survival, whereas a human's self-interest is always resolved around expansion, improvement, and going beyond. This ties heavily into the greed aspect I discussed earlier, when looking at greed as the primary motivator for the way people impact the world around them, the case to stoping them starts to feel a little more gloomy, how do you stop an innate human nature. That's the thing tho, though we don't have to, we play into improvement. I started this essay with an existential view of our world, of ourselves. This is the perspective that's important to sell.

I am 6 foot 2 inches, looking straight ahead, I can see I am 6 feet 2 inches above the ground, the earth, the plants, and the water. Over time seeing with my own two eyes simply wasn't doable, when my own two eyes saw so much wrong, unjustifiable problems. What do I do? I was sick of the way I saw the world, I hated the arrogance, the superiority that I felt when I was grounded. So the simple solution, I started flying. Why be 6 foot 2 when I can be thousands of feet, in the sky. This is the perspective that changed my life. I could explain it with words, but Im gonna make you do a little physical activity instead. Stand up, look at how you are compared to the ground around you. I feel like I wouldn’t be crazy to assume you seem above the earth, you can feel a distance, a clear distinction between you and the world around you. Now close your eyes, imagine your NASA's best-looking astronaut, hundreds of thousands of feet in the sky. When you are up there, look down at yourself awkwardly standing with your eyes closed. Can you see a distinction, or not? You aren't someone who lives on the planet, you are the planet. 

To tie everything up, this perspective is the key, this viewpoint of our world is something we have to take in order to ensure that we can even begin to make progress. If we want to stop climate change, animal abuse, pollution, or ocean acidification, if we want to solve any problem relating to our earth, we need to show people it isn’t their surroundings they are hurting, it's themselves.