What's in a name? | Teen Ink

What's in a name?

By SchoolWriting23 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
SchoolWriting23 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

The name Charlie is silky, and smooth.  It flows when written.  The pen flows from one letter to the next reaching a high point and curling back down as it carries on to the next letter.

It is relaxed but also goes with the flow.  It’s like a beach in the evening with the gentle flow of the waves and the sunset in the distance.  It’s the picturesque view that ends the day by putting a positive light in your life.

The name Charlie means ‘man’ in German. That is what I think of myself as, a man. a common man. There is nothing really from an outsider’s perspective that really sets me apart from anybody else.  But I enjoy that. I blend in and just work with what I am given.

But Charlie is also more than a common man, but instead is a driven man. Driven to find success.  Wanting to find success possibly in the form of work.  Maybe running a chocolate factory, like the movies .  It’s innovative and wants to find new ways to do things.

Charlie is a name that never seems satisfied. I am the same in that I always want more.  Got 3rd place? Could have been second.  Got a job that pays $10 per hour?  Well this other job that just got posted pays $13 per hour.  

Charlie. It’s made of seven unique letters but there’s a high probability that it shares a character with another name.  It’s hard not to find something in common with it.  That’s good in both ways, I’m both unique but also will be able to find something in common with another person.

I enjoy finding new ways to do things, but there is no need to find a new name that would suit me better. Charlie is the perfect introduction to the story that lies behind me.  It represents the uniqueness of who I am and the personality that lies behind this seemingly common man.