Defensive People | Teen Ink

Defensive People

February 16, 2022
By TeddyBears BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
TeddyBears BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I really hate it when people get defensive. Like what have I ever done to you. Defensive people get mad over the stupidest things. I hate it when its someone older and they use age as an excuse to be rude. 

I was at the grocery store and I was going down an aisle. In front of me was this couple in front of me. They were walking so slow and stopping in the middle of the aisle but not grabbing anything. As one does, I asked politely if they could make room for me to walk by. Normal people would move out of the way and say sorry, but not this couple. They got so offended. 

The guy said, “you know what, it's rude of you to ask us to move. This is a public place. I know my rights as an American citizen. You are a kid, we are older than you, you need to treat us with respect. The world does not revolve around you. Where even are your parents?” 

I was scared. My 12 year old self did not know what to do. So I said, “my parents are in the store in a different aisle. They asked me to get something from this aisle. Do you mind if I can go get the item so I can go back to my parents.” 

I thought the couple would feel bad for this tiny kid just listening to her parents. BUT NO. They saw behind my lies. Yes, I was lying about where my parents were. You know, stranger danger. My parents were really in the car and asked me to go grab something. I could tell the girl felt bad and wanted to help me. 

The girl said, “go grab your thing we will walk you to your parents.”

I said, “no that’s fine I can do it on my own.”

The guy got mad again and all defensive and said, “why won't you let my girlfriend help you? Do you think we are bad people? Because we are not. You know what I hate when you young kids think you are better than us.” 

He got interrupted by the store manager, “hi is there anything I can help y’all with. We have some complaints about the yelling.” 

The guy said, “Well this kid is being very disrespectful to us. And her parents aren’t with her. She is in the store alone.” 

He was right but he didn’t need to say that. I lost my temper. I was so mad. I just lost it. “YOU KNOW WHAT, MY PARENTS AREN’T IN THE STORE. THEY JUST WANT ME TO GET SOMETHING. I WOULD LIKE FOR Y'ALL TO MOVE BEFORE MY PARENTS CALL THE COPS THINK I WAS ABDUCTED.”

The manager chimed in, “I don’t like that temper young lady. I think it would be best if you leave. I will walk you out and wait for your parents.”

I GOT KICKED OUT OF THE STORE FOR DEFENDING MYSELF. I really hate defensive people.