STD Education | Teen Ink

STD Education

By edonmo13 SILVER, Tirana, Other
edonmo13 SILVER, Tirana, Other

Throughout the past years, sexually transmitted diseases like AIDS, have been a big problem and have had a rise in cases throughout the United States. A lot of these cases are transmitted amongst teens, causing a lot of problems. Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a chronic, potentially life-threatening condition caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). By damaging your immune system, HIV interferes with your body's ability to fight infection and disease. Throughout this essay, I will be teaching you how this disease can be transmitted, how it spreads, and its problems amongst teens. 
But there are different types of sexually transmitted diseases. Though, some people mix up AIDS and HIV, as they do not know the difference. HIV is a virus that attacks the immune system and AIDS is a term that can only be used when HIV has caused severe damage to the immune system. This basically means that AIDS is a stage where the illness gets worse. There are a lot of uninformed people about this, especially teens. This leads to many problems as these diseases spread rapidly over teens, and they have no clue what this is about, and how serious this disease might get.  
This also brings us to another topic on how this disease might spread. You can get an STD by having vaginal, anal, or oral sex with someone who has an STD. Anyone who is sexually active can get an STD. You don’t even have to “go all the way” (have anal or vaginal sex) to get an STD. This is because some STDs, like herpes and HPV, are spread by skin-to-skin contact. This also means that without the use of protection, any sexually active person is at risk of getting the disease. But young people are uninformed if they have the disease or not, so they continue spreading amongst others. Therefore, you need to get constantly tested for STDs, and you can get tested at plenty of places.  
Though, even though AIDS is a life-threatening illness, there are ways it can be treated and even cured. Antibiotics, often in a single dose, can cure many sexually transmitted bacterial and parasitic infections. In addition, it's important to abstain from sex until seven days after you've completed antibiotic treatment and any sores have healed. Experts also suggest women be retested in about three months because there's a high chance of reinfection. But antiviral drugs can also keep HIV infection in check for many years. But you will still carry the virus and can still transmit it, though the risk is lower. The sooner you start HIV treatment, the more effective it is. If you take your medications exactly as directed, it's possible to reduce the viral load in the blood so that it can hardly be detected. Also, nowadays there are also different vaccines you can use which can help protect you from infections. 
In conclusion, HIV or AIDS are some serious diseases created by sexual intercourse. They can be treated in different ways but there are also high risks of death, depending on your situation. This leads to young, uninformed teens making decisions they might regret, which is why it is important to learn. According to unicef.org, over 300 children and adolescents die from AIDS every day. These situations are getting worse each year, and we must beware of them. 

Throughout the years, STD's have become a huge problem throughout the world, especially through uneducated teens. I would like people to read my article to get an insight of the affects of these diseases.