The struggles of migration & immigration | Teen Ink

The struggles of migration & immigration

By Doverow BRONZE, Naples, New York
Doverow BRONZE, Naples, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Today there are many problems with immigration in the United States. “Returns of non-Mexican asylum seekers to Mexico to wait for US asylum adjudications under the “Migrant Protection Protocols” continued with a substantial decrease from April to July, exposing tens of thousands, including many children, to precarious, dangerous conditions and denying fair hearings.”With this return of non-Mexico asylum seekers back to Mexico to wait for the U.S. asylum adjudications under the “migrant protection protocols” they will have to wait in Mexico with possibilities of being hurt or even death thanks to possible reasons they may have been trying to escape from central Americas in the first place. “As Covid-19 cases increased in March (2020), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued an order closing the land borders, over-ruling career-CDC public health officials’ opinions it was not warranted. This led to the expulsion of more than 333,000 people 0,000 people along the US-Mexico border, including children, without screening for eligibility for asylum or other protections.” The United States suspended some forms of immigration to the U.S. that is probably what we are seeing right now, as they didn’t want to risk the national health of its people for immigrants. Many other countries did the same by sending back people to their countries that were on vacation, as well as the U.S. did. We talked about the problems immigration faced during covid-19 in the United States, It's time to move forward to the general problems of immigrations.

The migration of moving to a new country has many human rights.“An estimated 281 million people, approximately 3.6% of the world’s population, currently live outside their country of origin, many of whose migration is characterized by varying degrees of compulsion.” So, what is immigration, while it is basically what you may call modern-day nomads, except when they immigrant to a country they like they end up staying there.“Human rights violations against migrants can include a denial of civil and political rights such as arbitrary detention, torture, or a lack of due process, as well as economic, social, and cultural rights such as the rights to health, housing, or education. The denial of migrants’ rights is often closely linked to discriminatory laws and deep-seated attitudes of prejudice or xenophobia.” Why would people do such things, well it is often closely linked to the discriminatory laws and the people’s attitude of prejudice or xenophobia, most get this attitude thanks to their parents or the people around them. Due to all of these immigration problems and prejudice or xenophobia many can not integrate into the country they find themselves in; we can see more of this in France.

Not only do the United States and Mexico experience the human rights issue of immigration, but other countries around the world, especially France has issues with immigration. “Illegal immigrants (mostly from Western-Africa) keep pouring into Europe, mostly through Spain and Italy. The total number is of course unknown but could be as high as one million a year; many of them have very difficult conditions of life. France, like all the other European countries, is trying to control the flow and to expel some of them, to dissuade more to come, but in vain. It is particularly difficult and painful because, by law, it is not required to be legal to have access to education and health systems. Therefore, many kids in school are under the threat of being expelled to a country they don't know: their parents.”Many of the Illegal immigrants were actually once people that lived in the area of Frances formal colonies so, from the stories passed over the generations, they remembered that France was a great place hence the reason they don’t flood to the U.S. instead of to France which is not as well off as it used to be. “In 1999, 23% of French citizens had at least one parent or grandparent who had been an immigrant to France.” Recent waves of immigration have been from the Poles and Italians before World War 2 happened, along with a few others, an example would be in the 1970s and 1980s many West Africans came into France, Some other waves are from Muslim people. Most immigrates come from Northern Africa and Western Africa. Without proper documentation, so that makes it so most of these immigrate will be illegal immigrates. They often have children with them thus causing them to be deported to a country they don’t know.

Conversely, the issue of illegal immigration is a problem throughout the world. Diseases cause people to move from one country to the other as seen during covid-19, it also promotes illegal actives most noted with unwarranted prejudice and xenophobia. Along with that, be aware that these immigrates come to your country because they seek a way out there poor living conditions, they also may have immigrated cause people may be seeking to harm them for their way of life. This essay has described to you what immigration is for many people around the world, it is from this you should have seen that immigration is not something these people want to do but what they have to do, for a better life.

I worked on this for school a while back and thought why not post it here. 

Works Cited

“Migration and Human Rights.” OHCHR, ohchr.org/EN/Issues/Migration/Pages/MigrationAndHumanRightsIndex.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-4SLBhCVARIsACrhWLWLZx9QTlwBuBpq7CqqNBaOPYRclXmLaUPngbH5eBsbuN81iDR5vjYaAsBOEALw_wcB.

“World Report 2021: Rights Trends in United States.” Human Rights Watch, 13 Jan. 2021, hrw.org/world-report/2021/country-chapters/united-states#.

Major French Issues ; Economy, Immigration, Islam, Integration, Health..., understandfrance.org/French/Issues.html.