My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By 3armiger SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
3armiger SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

My name, though short, is filled with heritage. The name Blake can mean, pale blond one, or dark, and dark haired. It means absolutely incredible. Like the number one. 1st place in a race. Like the first time I got 100% on a test. 

My name is like a perfect summer day. Not too hot and yet not too cold. Crisp like the bright green trees in a forest while the sun's rays are beaming off of. The warmth of the air feels like each letter in my name bouncing off of the tongue.  

Yet I have never really been a summer person. I like warmth with a breeze. A time with less harsh sun. Autum is the season I’d like to be. The sweet taste of honey crisp apples reminds me of my name. Sweet and crisp. Like the thing you look forward to getting for Christmas or the taste of a ripe honeydew melon. 

The way I got my name is as plain as corn flakes. Dry and tasteless. It was picked straight out of a book. No crazy story or weird way of getting it. My parents just found it in a book and stuck with it. The weird part is how well the definition of the name describes me. It feels like the name has formed me into it’s definition. 

My name originates from old English, like my family heritage. My name, though simple, describes me perfectly. I am blond, pale skinned, amazing and hard working. It embodies me. I am the pale blond person that is absolutely incredible as the definition says.  As I grow the name grows with. Like my hair turning blond from brown and like a plant growing out of the ground. Slow and steady.  But it's very polar. Like a puppy is to a shark or a tarantula to a hamster. Like how I am as a person. Sometimes I am happy and sometimes I’m sad.  

When I was in elementary school my classmates used to call me Blank because they had a hard time trying to say it without putting an N in front of the K. I remember this made me unhappy all the time. I hated being called something other than Blake. It’s like calling a sibling the annoying name you gave them that they hate. 

As I change my name feels like it fits me more and more. When I was young I had darker hair, not the blonde hair that I do now. But as I grow up my name will have to grow up with me like my body grows as I age or a tree growing as it gets old. It will grow with me while I go through college and the next chapters in my life. That’s why I am at peace with myself and my name.