Cell Phones | Teen Ink

Cell Phones

By Adrien Trieu BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
Adrien Trieu BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

Cell Phones

Cell Phones. What a wonderful invention they are. They have changed from being a brick phone to a full touch screen. It’s hard to believe that only fifteen years ago they were very rare. From just calling and having contacts to texting, IM, and using the internet, -wow- what a difference over time. It all started with a man named Michael Faraday; he studied to see if space could conduct electricity in 1843.

Michael Faraday had started the cell phone development. Then, in 1865 ,a man named Doctor Mahlon Loomis was the first person to communicate through wireless atmosphere. That must have been a very exciting accomplishment. With that, Doctor Mahlon Loomis came up with the idea of transmitting and receiving messages through atmosphere as a conductor. Doctor Mahlon Loomis was awarded $50, 000 dollars for that research find. I wish I was him. Later on the cell phones came.
In 1973, Martin Cooper came up with Motorola; Motorola was a project. Martin Cooper took the project to New York for the people to see. Finally in 1977 the first cell phone was made in Chicago. Then 2000 people were given a free trial. That must’ve been fun for them.

These new cell phones were called the 1G or the first generation. The 1G was using analog technology which wasn’t very reliable, versus today where we use digital technology. Analog technology caused much static and many interruptions during calls. That must have been bad.

These cell phones were confined into cars for their convenience; they were put in the dirty floorboards of the cars. Later on they were actually mobile. They were the size of a large briefcase, not very mobile if you think about it. Their goal was pretty much to be able to talk. The phones were also rather expensive.

Then came the 1990s; many improvements were made to the phones. These new phones used 2G technology; and were the Second generation of phones. No more of that terrible analog technology, these phones have the new digital technology. This technology was much quieter and faster, that must have been a relief for the consumers. Then boom they became popular.

This amazing new technology made the phones capable of containing small batteries and the phones were smaller what a relief. Also the phones were more affordable for the cheap customers. Finally the cell phone business has taken off. Here off came the Third generation, it used 3G technology. This is what many people use today. It was soon created after the 2G.

With this new technology you could email and message people. These new capabilities made the phones even more popular. Many people text instead of calling. It seems fun for some reason but I prefer calling instead. It has changed so much from just calling.

Now they have plans for the Fourth generation or 4G. It seems like you can’t do much with a phone anymore after how it has evolve. I was wrong in this generation there goal is to make internet searching and transfer information even faster.

The cell phones company has evolved a lot since it first began. Its like our best friends, we can’t live without them. We went from just having brick phones to all new smart phones. From calling to texting and now surfing the internet. To Analog to Digital technology, boy how a phone can be so amazing. I wonder and dream what phones will bring us next. Will we make them better than it already is; is it possible.

I did an article on cell phones because I like electronics alot and I thought it would be fun.

TheRealAriel1995 PLATINUM, Highland Village, Texas

"See in what peace a Christian can die." - Joseph Addison
"How come everyone will come to your funeral, but nobody will come see you when you are living?"

That's really cool! NICE WORK! i like electronics too! :)