Two Shimmery Pompons | Teen Ink

Two Shimmery Pompons

By Lianne Zettel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lianne Zettel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

They are the only ones that shake. I am the only one that uses them. Two shimmery pompons with red strands covering one and silver on the other. Two among the other twenty-eight in the routine. Two special effects added for visuals. From the stands people merely see them, but on the floor I hold them tightly in hand.
Their excitement is flawless. They send messages to the judges. They move side to side and up and down, wondering what move may come next, preparing themselves for the worst and the best, and hoping it turns out right. This is how they shine.
When I grip my pompons and twirl them around, I move in sync with the others close by radiating joy from my smile and energy from my hands. Shake, shake, shake they say. They glimmer.
When I am too tired and too worn out, when I have to energy left to give, then I know I tried my best. When there is nothing left to dance to. Two who shake without worries. Two who never lose their shine. Two whose duty is served in two and a half minutes.