Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

By milgra37 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
milgra37 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Dear WW II Veteran,

“Thank you for your service” is such an overused line that I feel has lost its meaning. Those five, simple words are supposed to account for all that you’ve survived, all that you’ve been through? You’ve suffered so much in the name of our great country, both in and out of the war. You deserve more than that. You deserve a parade with red, white, and blue streamers flying around you. I can’t throw you a parade, but I can offer some of my thanks. I’m in debt to you for all that you gave your country and the people of the world. After all, you helped keep my family alive.

My great grandfather and great grandmother were survivors of the Holocaust. My great grandpa, who I called Papa, was transferred to four concentration camps during the Holocaust. He eventually escaped from a concentration camp and hid in the woods for over a month before he spotted foreign troops. In his memoir, he wrote that he gave himself up to soldier, the weariness over taking him. The 82nd Airborne Division of the United States Army made sure he was safe and even aided him into getting the medical care he needed.

My name is Jacqueline and I’m a junior in highschool. I am proud to say that even though my great-grandpa might be gone, I still carry on his name. Jack Budkowski might not have made it if it wasn’t for your bravery and sacrifice on the battlefield.

It is incomprehensible the pain that you put yourself through during the war. I cannot even fathom the struggle that you went through. Since you beared the burden, you helped millions of others survive the reign of Nazi terror.  

Thank you is one huge understatement. You gave me my family. You helped my Papa and Nana get to the United States and have two daughters. You helped them rebuild themselves out of the ashes. You helped them find joy again after the immense suffering they felt. Words can’t state how thankful I am. Thank you for keeping my family safe.

Sincerely,

Jacqueline