Freedom is not Free | Teen Ink

Freedom is not Free

By willsways3 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
willsways3 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

The Statue of Liberty. The giant green lady sits on the edge of New York welcoming all to the United States. She radiates hope for individuals as they travel past her welcoming arms. She gives a new beginning to people who desire a start in a different place complete with freedom and liberty—to all people.

Most people believe freedom is free. Freedom comes with responsibilities and rules.

Freedom offers many things and the most important is freedom of speech. Americans can say what they want and when they want only to the government, which happens a lot in protests and many things towards our country’s government. When Someone walks around in public they can’t just say whatever to anyone. Most people know the limits and that they have to keep it appropriate, because anyone truly can get in a lot of trouble for saying the wrong things at the wrong time.

As George Orwell once said, “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” This means to most people that you are free here in the United States but you can say whatever you want to the government whether it’s nice or not it doesn’t matter.

Freedom of speech means to me that I can say anything I want pretty much at all times. I don’t say many mean things so it’s okay to me and I know when to keep myself in control.

The Statue of Liberty, resembles to people what freedom looks like.