Christmas Wreath Cookies | Teen Ink

Christmas Wreath Cookies

By kait2018 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
kait2018 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Snowflakes fall from the sky, disappearing as they touch the blacktop. The sky is darkened yet, lit from strings of green and red Christmas lights, dancing off the house. Curtains from the living room window are drawn, allowing outsiders to see in. Eighteen family members cramp together on two small couches and kitchen chairs. Presents pile up along the Christmas tree, kids surrounding them. Grandma is in the kitchen preparing the traditional holiday dinner. Scrumptious smells invade noses, causing crowding in the kitchen.

Mom and Aunt Ashley disappear, lightly tiptoeing, on the search for Grandma’s famous christmas wreath cookies, made once a year. It is the same hide and go seek game played year after year, but instead, for cookies. Grandma’s only rule: No cookies before dinner. But, the sweet taste of marshmallow makes Mom and Ashley unable to resist.

Green dye staines Mom and Ashley’s fingers peeling the sticky cookies from the cookie sheet. Mom shoves the whole cookie into her mouth as Ashley does the same. The sticky marshmallow followed by red cinnamon candies resemble decorations on wreaths. From the living room, snickering echoes from the pantry, but no one seems to hear.

“Dinner is ready!” calls Grandma.

There's a rush to the table. Spoons of different dishes are swallowed, one after the other.

After dinner, Grandma knows her family has room for dessert. She walks into the pantry, grabs the sheets of cookies, and sets them on the dinner table. Smiling, she reveals the cookies to us — that smile slowly fades.

“Who ate all of my cookies before dinner?”

Mom and Ashley’s eyes meet, then shift back at Grandma. They grin, revealing their stained green teeth, while waving with their stained green fingers. And at that moment Grandma knew.