Decoding Autism | Teen Ink

Decoding Autism

By writinggurl SILVER, Easley, South Carolina
writinggurl SILVER, Easley, South Carolina

When Kenny goes to the grocery store it is daily struggle. His senses are out of order. He hears the carts creak, the soft echo of the music in the background, babies are crying. The teen behind him has not figured out deodorant has been invented. Bleach has been spilled a couple aisles down and is being moped up. By this time Kenny feels like he needs to throw up. Kenny like many young boys has autism. Autism is not a figured out mental disease because of how diverse autism is, many deal with it different ways but countless others overcome the symptoms and live a self-functional life.

Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a brain development mental disorder. The symptoms are normally having trouble communicating with others, repeating themselves, and OCD. Some can start to have physical problems such as sleep and eating problems. The symptom range from person to person and because of this autism is hard to diagnose and takes a whole team of doctors and therapists to diagnose it. Most cases seem to emerge at the toddler age. Where the language is not progressing or has not started.

Autism has mostly affected boys more than girls. “An estimated 1 out of 54 boys and 1 out of 252 girls are diagnosed with autism in the United States” (Autism Speaks Inc.,) . There is a new study that puts light on why girls are less likely to have autism. The idea is that it takes more genetic mutations for a girl to develop autism than for a boy. (Autism Speaks Inc.,) “In 2012, Harvard researchers published findings that suggesting that, on average, more genetic and environmental risk factors are required for girls to develop autism, compared to boys” ( Autism Speaks Inc.,). More research is needed for the scientists to prove this theory but many doctors believe this is the next step to coming up with a cure for autism.

Society sometimes forgets that autistic children are just children. Many are still learning skills for their age group and may disrupt or disturb others during outings. Autistic children will experience comments from people about their “bad” behavior. Other autistic children will be harassed and bullied for their delayed mental state and learning. It is important to pay attention to an autistic child and his or her needs. Children with ASD in social places misbehave if they have trouble communicating. “Children with an ASD may not understand 'social rules' - the unwritten rules that govern social situations, such as how close to stand to other people or how to take a turn in conversation. This is especially true if children find themselves in a new, unfamiliar situation. Therefore, social situations can be daunting and unpredictable. Some children may engage in a particular behavior to try and avoid social contact” (National Autistic Society). The important fact to remember is that the behavior an autistic child presents in any way does not mirror either parent’s ability to discipline their child.

Being autistic is not easy, but the outside world does not make it easier. Some autistic children with the right therapy and skills will be able to function on their own. Others will have to live with their parents or siblings or even in a group home. Most autistic, not all, will if given the choice be able to live a life unrestricted.

Autism is a very important topic to me and I believe personally it is not discussed as much as it should be.