Should Christians Celebrate Christmas and Easter? | Teen Ink

Should Christians Celebrate Christmas and Easter?

By Mr.packerbear12 SILVER, Minnesota Lake, Minnesota
Mr.packerbear12 SILVER, Minnesota Lake, Minnesota

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"Take the plank out of your own eye before the speck out of your brother's"

"live each day as if it's your last"

"God doesn't give you what you can handle, He helps you handle what you are given"

The time of year everyone has been waiting for is now here, with the traditions that you hold so dear and near to your hearts.. Are they not harmless traditions passed on through family from generation to generation? The answer is no, Those whom believe in the Bible should not celebrate Christmas and Easter because the Bible speaks against pagan worship, setting up a tree, and human sacrifices, which is exactly what Christmas and Easter are, pagan.

The Bible itself speaks against Christmas, here's the proof.

Hear ye the word which Yahweh speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: Thus

saith Yahweh, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of

heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for

one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it

move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne,

because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it

in them to do good.(Jeremiah 10:1-5, KJV)

Sure sounds a lot like a Christmas tree, does it not? Christmas has been around a lot longer than Christianity has, making you wonder, what are the origins of Christmas? Many will say to this, “But I don't worship my tree.” What are you doing when you go down to pick up a present from a tree? You are bending over, an act of bowing. Should this not be evident?

Furthermore, taking a look at the pagan origins of this holiday. In the Encyclopedia Romana(Sol Invictus and Christmas) it says that, “VIII Kal. Jan. (December 25) is annotated N INVICTI CM XXX. Although the dedication is uncertain (as no deity is identified by name), the presumption is that Natalis Invicti refers to the birthday of the Invincible Sun and foundation of the temple on that date, which in the Julian calendar is the winter solstice, the shortest day of year, after which days begin to lengthen and lighten.” So wait, the “Birthday of the Invincible Sun” Is this sun worship? Trees, presents, family gatherings, all come back to sun worship on 12/25. Another pagan thing, Santa was named after the the pagan god of Asia Minor, Nimrod. He was the fire god who was known for coming down chimneys and burned babies and the people ate them, this was a human sacrificial ceremony. Interesting enough, “Old Nick” is the term to refer to the devil as, which is where St. Nicholas comes from, Revelation 2:6 states: “But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.” Nicolaitanes literally means the followers of Nicholas. Breaking the word down, Nikos means conquer or destroyer, while Laos means people. So the word means people who follow the destroyer, and who would that be? None other than Nimrod, not so pleasant is it? (Pack, True Origin of Christmas)

How about Jesus compared to Santa? The similarities are shocking, they both have white hair, a beard, wears read apparel, hour of coming is a mystery, the north is where they both live, both carpenters, both come as a thief in the night, both omnipotent, both all-knowing, both omnipresent, both live forever, both givers of truth..are believers teaching children that Santa is the Messiah? Seems logical at this point.(Spirit World, Jesus Vs. Santa)

Interesting enough, Christmas was illegal in the city of Boston, Massachusetts. The Puritans knew that this was a pagan holiday and should not have been celebrated, it was illegal for 22 years.(Danko, Christmas Banned in Boston)

So, after knowing that the Christmas tree, sun worship, the worship of Nimrod, and the comparison of Jesus and Santa Claus it is concluded that this holiday is pagan, there is nothing spiritual in it, except for what man has added which was reading scripture about Jesus' birth but little knowing that it was in honor of a pagan holiday.

Furthermore, looking at a verse in the Bible against pagan worship. Deuteronomy 12:29-32 says, “When Yahweh thy Elohim shall cut off the nations from before thee, whither thou goest to possess them, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their land;Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise. Thou shalt not do so unto the Yahweh thy Elohim: for every abomination to Yahweh, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods. What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.”

So what exactly does that mean then? “for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.” Does that not sound like a sacrifice to the fire god, Nimrod? Some more verses, Matthew 15:3 “He answered them, “And why do you break the commandment of Yahweh for the sake of your tradition?” Why then are people keeping their traditions over worshiping Yahweh the way he tells believers to?

On to Easter, starting with the name alone, Easter comes from the European goddess Eostre, which derived from the Babylonian god Astarte, also known as Ishtar. This god was the god of fertility, and ironically enough was celebrated in the spring of the year. Ishtar is the mother of Tammuz who was thought to be the only begotten son of the moon-goddess and the sun-god. So so far, Easter is a holiday of fertility and the resurrection of Tammuz. Sounds like the Easter story of Jesus, does it not?(Aust, What Are the Origins of Easter?)

Moving on to Easter eggs, what is its origin? The mystic egg of Babylon hatched Venus Ishtar which fell from heaven into the Euphrates river(Bonwick, 211-212). Dyed eggs where very sacred and where used as offerings. This is because the spring is known as the season of birth.

Now the Easter Bunny, how does a bunny lay an egg? This doesn't seem logical. The reason is because the hare is a well-known symbol for fertility, and so is the egg. Can you believe it? A holiday surrounded by fertility? Sure doesn't sound like how the Creator wanted people to worship Him, does it?

Furthermore, human sacrifices are done starting on “Good Friday” at 12:01 AM through Easter Sunday. This is also why Easter lands on a first Full Moon of the year, which is the spring equinox, a satanic high day.(David, Liberty High Days) Why then should believers follow such a satanic day? Full of fertility and human sacrifice?

Now some Bible verses against human sacrifice. Deuteronomy 18:10 “There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer” 2 Kings 21:16 “And he burned his son as an offering and used fortune-telling and omens and dealt with mediums and with necromancers. He did much evil in the sight of Yahweh, provoking him to anger.” Notice, Deuteronomy says not to sacrifice your children, now 2 Kings is talking about someone who burned his son as an offering, and Yahweh was angry with him. See, Yahweh does not like human sacrifices, so why would He want His followers practicing holidays that are associated with human sacrifice?

Yahweh does not want us associated with these pagan rituals and wants us to follow Him in spirit and in truth, when getting closer to the truth the road gets narrower, and we must continue to look forward, and get further into His truth.

Many will say, “I'm not doing it with human sacrifices, and I'm not putting up a tree for fertility, and I'm not doing Easter eggs for fertility.” But how can this be? Here's a verse: Leviticus 10:1-3 “Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before Yahweh, contrary to his command. So fire came out from the presence of Yahweh and consumed them, and they died before Yahweh. Moses then said to Aaron, “This is what Yahweh spoke of when he said:“‘Among those who approach me I will be proved holy; in the sight of all the people I will be honored.’””

Nadab and Abihu did it out of their hearts but it was not what Yahweh commanded, so should we burn a strange incense, or should we serve Him the way He told us to? Deuteronomy 13:4, 4 “It is Yahweh your Elohim you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him.”

Take this seriously, it is a matter that needs to be addressed

Eswzem BRONZE said...
Eswzem BRONZE, New Castle, Pennsylvania

“For I have a plan for you. A plan to give you peace not for disaster, but a plan to give you hope and a future.” -Our Heavenly Father

That's so cool! I haven't spoken to hear for a long time either. Yeah, I'd love to talk to you and get to know you! My name is Emma. Email you soon and shalom :)

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"live each day as if it's your last"

You do? I haven't spoken to her in 3 years but that is neat you know her! If you're interested in speaking to me at all, not sure if you are, but my email is harringtonk23 'at' g m a i l . c o m it's nice to talk to people of like minded faith and you wrote you believe the same as well:) Shalom

Eswzem BRONZE said...
on Jun. 21 2017 at 10:41 am
Eswzem BRONZE, New Castle, Pennsylvania

I know Autumn! =)

Eswzem BRONZE said...
Eswzem BRONZE, New Castle, Pennsylvania

Nice article! I too, believe we should not celebrate Christmas or Easter. I believe that they are pagan. You did a lot of research and put a lot of thought into this. I applaud you for posting this and not worrying about what other people think. Really inspiring and I think you deserve recognition for an amazing job. ;)

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

Did you know that the tradition of a Christmas tree--not a tree at yuletide, but a CHRISTMAS tree, for the birth of Christ--originated from a legend where a British saint named Boniface chopped down the Oak of Thor in view of the German pagans? He actually used it as an illustration of the Trinity, because it has three points. Easter, that's more in line with Holy Week. It's not as much a ritualistic holiday as recognition of Christ's suffering, death, and resurrection that week. I actually wrote a historical fiction piece in honor of it last week:) The ideal of Easter as the day of Christ's resurrection actually needs to be more widely recognized, since it's the foundation of our Christian faith. I do believe that both holidays have strayed from what they were originally intended to be, become too "secularized," but I disagree that everything in them is pagan. So I half-agree. Either way, very well-written and well-argued piece; you're good!

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"live each day as if it's your last"

Thanks, you took my weakest point. Yes, you're right, but no you're not. Bowing is a very significant thing in many cultures, especially in the middle east. Worship is not just spiritual. If all you have is spiritual then you don't understand the physical and vice versa. You need to understand both the physical and the spiritual. That's my opinion on the matter anyways.

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

Just one thing: " What are you doing when you go down to pick up a present from a tree?" PB, Worship is an almost entirely spiritual thing, all around the world from what I know, and physical gestures like bowing don't signify much at all. Plus, does bending down in front of something mean bowing to that thing, let alone worshiping it? Also, you seem to be getting a lot of positive feedback for this piece, congratulations! I hope to see more from you in the days to come, all the very best. :)

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"live each day as if it's your last"

Thank you so much! and likewise:)

Niyaroo PLATINUM, Colonial Beach, Virginia
This was a really good article. It's good to know other ppl don't cele Christmas. Nice job :)

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"live each day as if it's your last"

I just reread this comment, I just noticed that you mentioned that typo. That's crazy, I've read my paper so many times and I never noticed that..too bad you can't edit it. I wrote it for a school research paper, my teacher didn't catch it either! Thanks for pointing that out!

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"live each day as if it's your last"

Hey, I know a girl from TN that doesn't celebrate christmas or easter and I'm almost certain it's either Greenville or near there. Do you know an Autumn? (I don't wanna mention last name for her privacy but her last name starts with an R and ends with L.)

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"live each day as if it's your last"

Well you have me intrigued! That's awesome! What religion are you if I may ask? If you ever come back to look at this and want to talk more about it(I'm curious) my e m.ail is pb12teenink(at)gmail(dot)c o m

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"live each day as if it's your last"

Glad I was able to strike some curiousity in you:) It's definatly a sensitive topic

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"live each day as if it's your last"

As are all three of my brothers..

Longlegs GOLD said...
Longlegs GOLD, Greeneville, Tennessee
I completely agree with your argument. I don't celebrate christmas or easter either. Thank you for writing this :)

theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

The picking up a Present part I would is the best maybe because I never thought of it the way you did IDK. But Nice work.

Funne GOLD said...
Funne GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio

"I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams."

-H.P Lovecraft

You have a good point, but I'm agnostic, so I can celebrate christmas anyway.

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"live each day as if it's your last"

Thank you for commenting, it really helps when I know people are actually reading it. I understand your view, as it used to be my view as well. Yes most things in the Bible to have more than one meaning to them, if someone didn't believe in dual prophecy they wouldn't believe Yeshua(Jesus) is the Messiah. I respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it:). Yahweh bless you!:)

WinterRose76 SILVER, Ok., Florida

Arise and be all that you dream - Flyleaf

I can tell you invested a lot of time and energy in your article, and I completely respect your point of view. However, I personally believe as a Christian it's fine to celebrate Christmas and Easter as long as your focus is directly on Christ. Now if you let the Christmas festivities sidetrack you from focusing on Jesus's birth, then there would be a problem. As far as decorations go, I honestly don't have an issue with them. The Christmas tree is merely a decoration in our house, nothing more - as it should be. The same thing about Easter. I don't think eating candy and stuff on Easter in essentially bad in itself. It's when people replace going to church and celebrating Christ's resurrection with staying at home and, say, hunting for Easter eggs instead - that makes it wrong. In my honest opinion, I think if God is kept at the center of these two holidays, it's okay to celebrate them. I also want to add that interpreting the Bible is very difficult. Most of the time there is more than one meaning to each passage. Sometimes underneath what appears to be an obvious statement is a second layer of meaning that may or may not be plain for us to see. I applaud you for writing this article though. It's very thought-provoking. I wish there were more religious pieces like this on TeenInk.

"Judge lest not you be judged"

"live each day as if it's your last"

To be honest, it's only offensive if you take it as that. I'm sharing my knoweledge people can take it as they wish.