JSA: A Club about Debate, Politics, and the Economy | Teen Ink

JSA: A Club about Debate, Politics, and the Economy

By Mersadie Sarinske SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Mersadie Sarinske SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

JSA is a school club for any student interested in political and economical issues. It stands for Junior Statesmen of America. They meet once a month on Wednesdays from 6:00-7:30 p.m. in room N162, and talk about current events.

If you are interested in being a part of JSA, please talk to Tim Tower, the teacher adviser, to see when the next meeting is. You can also talk to Rebecca, a senior, who is the president of the club.

“JSA is about voicing opinions and getting involved in what you believe in,” says Rebecca.

As the president of JSA, Rebecca’s job is to run the club meetings and find the topics to debate about. Some of the topics the club discusses in the meetings revolve around government issues such as foreign affair, economics, and social issues.

Rebecca says she made the club’s website. You can get to it by going on the school website and click on the link for the club.
Even if you aren’t the type of person who voices your opinions, it’s a way to stay informed on the daily news.

“It is a good mixture of quiet people and loud people who come to the JSA meetings,” Rebecca says, “but they shouldn’t be afraid to talk.”

The club has been around for 12 years, and it was started by Tower. The attendance of the club has been increasing every year and so far the club has had around 200 kids at the last three meetings.

Some upcoming activities for JSA are Fall State where they go to the capitol in Madison and have debates for the whole day. They also have Winter Congress which is in February in Washington D.C. In March, they hold a mini conference.

“I encourage students to be involved with JSA because it’s a good way to meet new people and to build your confidence in public speaking. It’s also a great way to be involved in your school and its fun,” says Rebecca.

“The great thing about this club is that I don’t have to do anything. The students take charge in all the debates and most organization of the club such as the website,” Tower says.

If you are interested in JSA and you would like to become a member, please click the link below or go to their page on the school’s website. It’s a 5 dollar fee to join after signing up on their website. The next meeting is on October 30th.