Changes/ Continuities in Social Conflicts/ Latin America 1950-1990 Outline | Teen Ink

Changes/ Continuities in Social Conflicts/ Latin America 1950-1990 Outline

By Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York

I know nothing, but of miracles.

Outline #15, Stearns chapter 33
Q. Analyze the changes and continuities in social conflicts in Latin America from 1950-1990.
Thesis:
Within the years 1950-1990, Latin America faced an onset of changes consisting of struggles for economic, social, and political stability and rebellion against ruthless dictators. Several continuities remained throughout the decades, North American interference and the authority of the Catholic Church. However, it is impossible for time to move forward without change occurring, as demonstrated Latin America’s slow transformation of women’s societal roles and revolutions pro-human rights/ anti-dictatorship.
Changes:

Juan and Evita Peron brings to Argentina the rise of populist politics and spirit to the descamisados

Cuban Revolution

1952-1964 Bolivian Revolution

1959- Castro leads a revolution in Cuba

Questioning of the importance of human rights

Evolution of women’s roles- Rise of feminism, leisurely shift in public opinion- from docile housewives/mothers to equal human in society, the integration of women in political parties and elections, and rising female workforce

Mass immigration, often illegal transitions from Latin America to North America, as a result of over-populated districts
Continuities:

Cruel forceful leaders : Fidel Castro, General Augusto Pinochet, etc

In-Between state of traditional Latin American conservation versus North American modernization

Promises of revolutionary change

U.S. intervention into Latin American affairs

The catholic Church held strong political influence in government

Latin America Post-WW2: Latin America wasn’t heavily involved during this war, Brazil practically

The PRI managed México, until the end of the 20th century

World Historic Context:

Cold War

1989- United States takes Panama by force and overthrows General Noriega

Latin American cultural tributes- Catholicism still had major influence, yet Protestant religion moves in. Latin America artists and intellectuals bring salsa, samba, and contemporary literature
Analysis:
An epoch of change and continuity is exposed in Latin American history through the years: 1950-1990, in terms of revolution, tradition, culture, and politics. Stability in violent, oppressing dictatorship, poverty, urban social populations due to mass populations and underprivileged workers, and U.S. and Catholic influences continued to exist. Conversely, this time was an era of change as well, as revolutionary ideology grew among the working class, the descamisados, for social development, changes in conventional female functions and Latin contributions to international culture.

Comment on 10th grade AP Global essay