Equus Caballus | Teen Ink

Equus Caballus

By whitaker6 BRONZE, Pendleton, Kentucky
whitaker6 BRONZE, Pendleton, Kentucky

What do you think of when you hear the word “sport”? Maybe you think of Volleyball, Football, Tennis, Golf, maybe even Basketball. I’m sure that one thing that doesn’t pop into your head is… horses.

That’s right…. riding horses. It’s done all over the world. Unlike a football, volleyball or a pair or running spikes; a horse can be used for many things. Competitive horseback riding is split into 2 different categories; Western and English. They use 2 different saddles and riding styles. Some common western style sports are pole bending, and barrel racing. Dressage, polo, and show jumping are types of English events. Horses are also use for physical therapy.

Most of western sports are judged on speed and whether or not you knock anything down. In English riding it’s much more formal. You get judged on your accuracy and form; how you sit on the horse and how well you control your horse without being detected. You always want to make your horse and you look like “one” as much as possible.

You may think that riding horses is easy… but it’s nothing of the sort. It works and builds up your muscles just as much as any other sport; especially in your legs. Riding isn’t just riding, it’s about balance, stamina, endurance and ability. It’s also about building a relationship with your horse.

Horses are so underappreciated throughout the world. People will slaughter them and make glue out of there hooves, they eat horses in France. One of the few places in the world that let horses live up to their standards is in Kentucky. Every year on the first Saturday in May since 1875 Churchill Downs in Louisville hosts a world famous horse race were the best of the best horses, jockeys, and trainers come from all around the world for this one race. This race is known as “the two most exciting minutes in sports”.

Horse riding is a sport.