Two Major Changes in History | Teen Ink

Two Major Changes in History

By Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York

I know nothing, but of miracles.

Throughout many countries in history there have been special events that have forever changed the lives of the people. These events have social, economic, and cultural changes that further influenced the descendants of the people who have first experienced them.

One major change in global history was the Neolithic revolution. Before this event past humans beings’ lives were controlled by the nature of the weather, on and off shifts of the Ice Age, and the migration of the animals they hunted. Before, past humans were nomads who depended on traveling to escape the dangers of the freezing Ice Age and to support their lifestyle as hunter-gatherers. But after the Neolithic revolution the humans changed to what we know as today Homo sapiens and benefited from the several benefits the new change brought on. One major benefit was the ability to domesticate plants and animals for food, such as meat and milk. This benefit led to more benefits, like an improved diet which caused longer life spans. Also, this produced the farming that allowed the hunter-gatherers to stay in one place long enough to develop larger populations, cities, tools, etc. Like a snowball effect once the Homo sapiens started to learn how to make improvements in technology, the newer generations and cultures followed creating a more advanced society.

Another exceptional development in history was the Age of the Renaissance. Before the Renaissance were the Middle Ages, a dark, highly religious society that were ruled by the Church and tormented by the Black Plaque. But soon the economy started to improve and succeed in several cities, including Venice. The new wealthy merchants that benefited from this change suddenly had money to fund talented artists and provide funds for research in the sciences. Suddenly the dark ages became an age of enlightenment were cities were reborn with a thirst for new culture and ideas in society. The Renaissance had developed a way of life that like the Greeks and Romans had focused on the comforts/beauty of life and the worth of the basic individual called humanism. Humanism was portrayed in several art forms back then by artists, like Leonardo da Vinci. The new artists in honor of humanism started to focus and study the realistic forms of the human body and express it with feelings and emotions. Along with the new changes in art the ideas of science shifted away from the age-old ideas of the Church and started to adept with the modern world.

These two changes not only provided new ideas and progress for the time periods they were in, but also for the future generations to come. With the Neolithic revolution once humans developed the process of farming and domesticating animals other countries started to learn and continue developing new technology and sharing the same benefits as the Homo sapiens had; longer life spans, better diets, and a whole new lifestyle. With the Renaissance people began to shift from the old ways of the Church and began searching for new ideas and ways to enjoy life. People begin thinking of life with value and experienced a new hunger for the arts and sciences. In the process they developed new art forms that we acknowledge today and continue to learn from. Also, the remains of the Renaissance are found in the architecture and sciences that provide people today inspiration and genius ideas. Both periods of time have provided generations today with modern ideas and the desire to improve our social, scientific, and cultural way of life as people back then did.

In 9th grade global history we had a test in which we were assigned to write about two major periods in time and their effects