In a World Without Gravity | Teen Ink

In a World Without Gravity

By AlexHeller DIAMOND, San Mateo, California
AlexHeller DIAMOND, San Mateo, California

Live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -Mary Anne Rabmacher

In a world without gravity, one would be weightless, but always nauseous. Because of this, it would be very difficult to complete a lot of your daily activities without throwing up. If you tried to eat something while you and your food are floating around, you will probably have a lot of trouble trying to hold your food down. In 0-g, life would be very hard. Roller coasters are a perfect example of this. I do not do well on roller coasters. I get sick when I encounter zero gravity for that split second on rides with loop-dee-loops and the like. This is how I know I would really suck at surviving if there was no gravity. Not only would I be constantly puking, but I wouldn’t be able read or really even enjoy doing anything except floating around trying not to dry heave. So, I wonder how someone, mainly me because I do not have a strong stomach, would merely perform the act of drinking a glass of water and thinking at the same time in a world where everything floats. Without the force of gravity acting on all objects, there is nothing keeping us attached to the earth. We would simply float away from the earth unless we nail out toes to our floorboards, and our entire house to the earth’s crust.
So, drinking water…this would not go very well for me. Not only would the water not be forced to stay in its proper area of residency, the cup, but it would be poured on my face if ever I tried to drink it, and that is most certainly NOT WHERE IT BELONGS. However, since the only force acting on the cup is the earth’s, pushing everything away from its core, the water probably was already floating around in space somewhere. This would make for a very, VERY thirsty Alex, not to mention the rest of the world. Unless you had stocked up on bottled water prior to the sudden change in the laws of the world, you would be dead.
Thinking during splashing water all over yourself, or trying to catch it as it pins itself to your ceiling, just as you are doing because of the lack of gravity, would probably present a slight problem. As if you weren’t already nauseous as could be, suffering from extreme thirst and boredom while you lie in wait on your ceiling for something interesting to happen like being crushed by that bookcase over there that has been slowly creeping closer with each passing second, you would also need to be able to think. While floating around on earth shouldn't give you any more of a headache than when you lie down, I have a feeling that I would get them anyway. However, in space, 0-g, your blood would be floating free throughout your body, just as you do so, subject only to those forces placed on it by your own circulatory system. Your blood would have no tendency to pool in any particular part of your body, meaning no headaches. But with everything floating around, I can’t help but think that all that free blood must make you kind of floppy.
Without gravity, multitasking would probably be even more difficult than it is in a world with gravitational forces. If I tried drinking my water, while translating our national anthem into Arabic, WHILE I try to bike on one of those stationary exercise bikes, I would be very sad. Not only would I be nauseous and EXTREMELY THIRSTY, causing me to get a headache, but I would be floating away from my excise bike, while trying to stay on it, that giving me exercise within itself. I can’t even imagine how long our species would survive before we either all starved to death or tried to open a window for fresh air and then floated into our atmosphere and died from lack of oxygen. I don’t think that we would live very long at all, and drinking a glass of water would be so terribly difficult that it would make living very complicated.

my physics teacher said that this essay was the best in my class and gave me a bag of japanese candy. i have never won best essay in a physics class. i was very pleased. i hope you enjoy.

I found this off another website as well... hope you aren't plagerizing...

Wow. i didnt expect to get any comments on this paper. i justy wrote this for my freshman physics class. The assignment was simply to describe an everyday activity, i chose breathing and drinking, and describe how you would accomplish it without gravity.

This is just what would happen if now. like right now CLICK! gravity off.  what would happen? im not talking about how people could develope things in the future. simply what would happen if gravity dissapated for a while, until my action was completed.

but thank you all for your detailed responses. i really appreciate how seriously this is being taken.

MechaGear said...

There are several issues with what you've been saying. The magnetic shoes thing seems like a good starting point, so I guess I'll start there. Magnetite, as well as plain magnets made using iron, are not the only type of magnet out there. If you take a piece of iron, wrap a wire around it in the right way, and supply power to the wire, it will make the iron magnetic so long as the power continues to flow.

Mechastorm already mentioned that you would indeed be able to open a door, but let me elaborate on that. If you've been in a physics class and studied real-world applications of Newton's laws, you would realize that, while the doorknob could certainly move you when you tried to turn it, you have more than sufficient strength to force it open, since you're still acting against your own mass, which doesn't want to be forced into motion. For example, in space, if you took a tennis ball and threw it, the force with which you threw it would be distributed equally between yourself and the ball. That would result in the ball traveling rather slowly, and you moving back at a much slower, but still perceptible rate. (Unless of course you were a Liliputian, in which case you would probably be moving faster than the tennis ball)

As for actualy consequences, think about this. The only thing that holds our planet together is gravity. In the absence of that, the centrifugal force of the planet's rotation would be more than enough to tear it apart and send us, our houses, and our entire planet whirling away into the cosmos, slowly disintegrating further and further.

MechaStorm said...
I do believe you could turn a knob - you may turn with it, however even without gravity, resistance still applies. You could position yourself in way that you cannot turn, therein rendering the doorknob or window moveable.  And actually, it's not impossible, persay.  You should see what metaphysicists are playing with these days - gravity is the least of their concerns.

Well mecha,

you see im not underestimating the human tendency to adapt. I am simply speaking about what it would be like if an evil genius suddenly turned the gravity off. yes. i am aware that this is not possible but then again i propose the what IF situation. And magnetic shoes would not work be cause  there is no way to turn them off so your feet can move. also there is no such thing, nor will there ever be a gravity generator. you cannot generate such a force unless it was implanted in the center of our earth, at which point it would prove meaningless because there would already be gravity and the device would melt.

But no to the drinking solution. we would all  be dead before we got to develope such a solution. Experiments would be necessary but impossible to perform since none of us would have water.

also, keep in mind there IS NO GRAVITY. if you tried to open a door the doorknob would not be whats being turned. you would be turning. same for a window. if you try to pull it up it is not the window that will be doing so.

So. seeing as how you cannot leave a room, no will you have any water or food, you would die.

i thank you mecha for reading my piece. happy travels~

MechaStorm said...

I think you underestimate the human tendency to adapt.  It wouldn't be long at all before we had gravity generators, or at least magnetic shoes and furniture.  And even prior to that- we'd have a gravity-independant drinking solution, which I imagine would resemble a Capri-Sun beverage (only airtight).  Additionally, if that were the world you were born into, the stomach thing wouldn't be an issue - it would be all you know.

I may simply be too innovative, but I would love the challenges that come with adapting to a lack of gravity.

Thanks for this very entertaining concept, however.  I thoroughly enjoyed the tangent thoughts it spawned.