Roaring Twenties | Teen Ink

Roaring Twenties

By hkang GOLD, North Bethesda, Maryland
hkang GOLD, North Bethesda, Maryland

The 1920s marked a drastic change in American economic and social life. Various forms of entertainment flourished, accompanied by people’s desire for a better material life. These shifts in social viewpoints occurred due to people’s increasing awareness of science and the movement for more fabulous women’s rights.

The increasing women’s rights illustrated one of the most significant changes during the 1920s. In the past, the all-American girl “aspired to be a housewife” and were generally working in “professions largely restricted to school-teaching, social-service work, nursing, stenographic, and clerical work in business houses”(Doc 2a, 2b). However, the “Roaring 20s” helped young women in the cities break the stereotype. They began to “use cosmetics, [smoke], [drink] alcohol, and [attend] many different glamorous dance parties”(Doc 2a). At the same time, women began to enter new professions like “offices of publishers and advertisers,” sellers of “antiques, real estate,” and even “owners of department stores,” which men occupied before(Doc 2b). The transformation of women’s roles from homemakers focused on the family to independent girls focused on themselves led to this shift to openness in forms of entertainment and a more comprehensive range of job opportunities for women in society. With the flappers leading the communities culturally and economically, their rising competitiveness elevated the importance of women’s voices and further propelled the movement concerning women's suffrage, which the 19th Amendment guaranteed.

The Monkey Scopes Trial highlighted another moment of change in the 1920s. Before the 1920s, significant events in America like Manifest Destiny and the fundamental ideas of imperialism were all founded on Catholic teachings and the words of God to spread civilizations to the brutal ones. Even in the 1920s, the teachers in schools were only allowed to discuss the history of divine creation due to the “Butler Act passed in Tennessee,” which “outlawed the teaching of evolution in schools”(Document 3a). Inside the society, religious civilians like Mrs.Sparks pointed out that “[she] thanked God deep down in my heart for the coming of God’s kingdom”(Document 3a), indicating the majority’s adherence to the church. On the other hand, people’s awareness of scientific facts gradually arose during the 1920s. The American Federation of Teachers explained that their members found the misguided legislative authority wrong since they “[feared] to trust the intelligence, the public spirit, and the devotion”(Document 3b), an apparent deviation from the religion. Finally, the conflicts between the traditional and modern views crashed in the Monkey Scopes Trial. The trials targeted a couple of paragraphs concerning evolution but disputed issues such as “whether our society should be based on science or religion.” Many scholars believed that people should “give the next generation all the facts” and “stand with science and progress” (Doc 4). Although the judge finally favored the religious side, the popularity of the century trial symbolized a step towards people’s gradual acceptance of science. With advanced technology germinating in the 1920s, America established itself as a world power after the subsequent defeat of Japan and the invention of the first atomic bomb. More importantly, the open academic environment beginning in this period benefited America in the digital age by attracting the most significant number of experts to investigate the latest technology. 

In summary, the 1920s were a transformative era in American history, marked by a profound shift in social attitudes and cultural norms. The rise of the flapper culture and the Monkey Scopes Trial were not just events but catalysts for change, challenging traditional gender roles and sparking a clash between science and religion. Despite the tensions with conservative forces, the decade laid the groundwork for a more open and inclusive society, setting the stage for future advancements in equal rights and the flourishing of academic inquiry. The 1920s were not just a period of change but a beacon of hope, signaling the potential for a more progressive and enlightened future.