Aeneas and Orgetorix | Teen Ink

Aeneas and Orgetorix

By hkang GOLD, North Bethesda, Maryland
hkang GOLD, North Bethesda, Maryland

Caesar's conquest and Aeneas's arduous journey were marked by numerous challenges, from facing armies to navigating foreign lands. In these situations, effective communication strategies were crucial for success. While both narratives feature diplomatic missions, the contrast in approach is striking. Orgetorix employs persuasion driven by self-interest, while Ilioneus's persuasion is rooted in pity and devotion, adding depth to the analysis.

Orgetorix offers rewards to those he encounters to get his way.  One instance is when he persuades Casticus to seize control of the kingship in his own tribe (“persuadet Castico…ut regnum in civitate sua occuparet” lines 2 and 4).  He finds Casticus will respect him more if he boosts his ego and tells him that he is fit enough to be the leader of the Sequani. When he persuades Dumnorix to seize the kingship of his respected tribe (“ut idem conaretur persuadet” lines 4 and 5), he wants these leaders to seize control of their kingdom because he wants to form an alliance with him.  Furthermore, Orgetorix wants to give his daughter to Dumnorix to marry (“filiam suam in matrimonium dat”).  This further solidifies Orgetorix’s relationship with Dumnorix, which will help him out because they are a neighboring tribe to Orgetorix.  Orgetorix wants to establish peaceful relations while also maintaining power over his neighbors.  In addition, Orgetorix says he will win over kingdoms for them with his troops and army (“se suis copiis suoque exercitu illis regna conciliaturum confirmat”).  The theme of persuasion repeats throughout the exchange of profits: If these tribes help him with his mission, he will repay them by capturing kingdoms for them.  Lastly, he tells Casticus and Dumnorix that it is very easy to seize control of their respective tribes (“Perfacile factu esse illis probat conata perficere”), helping them boost the confidence and creating a 

Ilioneus appeals to Dido by asking her to pity the Trojans because of their harsh journey. He starts his speech to her by describing the Trojans' journey over the seven years and how they were hindered by the pathless rocks and waves instigated by Juno (perque undas superante salo perque invia saxa, 537) He says this in the hopes that Dido would understand why the Trojans suddenly appeared on her shores in the first place and how troubled they were. Ilioneus then explains how the Trojan people had been unable to find anywhere suitable for them to stay (Hospito prohibemur harenae, 540.) He explains this in the hopes that Dido would let them stay in the land for some time and depart as soon as possible for the fated land of Italy. Ilioneus then explains how dutiful and devoted Aeneas is to the Trojan people (quo iustior alter, nec pietate fuit, 545) and how they have not been able to find him, thinking that he may be dead (si vescitur aura aetheria, 546.), highlighting how much Aeneas has done for Trojan people and how much others respected him. After appealing these thoughts to Dido, Ilioneus asks that Dido permits (liceat) the safety of their fleet (classem.) He then tells her that they will seek Acestes after they leave to not remain in Carthage for too long (petamus Acesten, 558.) This explanation demonstrates Ilioneus’ diplomatic strategy to appeal to sympathy, duty, and devotion.

Orgetorix uses the tactic of persuasion, fueled by his self-interest and boosting the egos of others, while Ilioneus's persuasion comes directly from pity and devotion. This disparity eventually leads to two opposite results: Orgetorix is finally defeated by Caesar after his deceit and inducement failed, but Illioneus and his companions can be welcomed inside Carthage with their genuineness and faith.