The Power of Love | Teen Ink

The Power of Love

March 5, 2024
By zoegoldman BRONZE, Manhattan Beach, California
zoegoldman BRONZE, Manhattan Beach, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

American poet, whose pieces have been recognized with the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, Mary Oliver once said, “Figurative language can give shape to the difficult and the painful. It can make visible and ‘felt’ that which is invisible and ‘unfeelable.’” Oliver’s quote expresses figurative language’s influence on demonstrating emotion in pieces of literature, as it allows for an underlying message that goes beneath the surface in writings. The tragic play Romeo and Juliet tells the story of two individuals sworn to be enemies because of their family’s beliefs, yet fall in love. Regardless of their parent’s beliefs, the two star-crossed lovers cannot live without each other's love and affection, and by the final parts of the story, they end their lives because they cannot be apart from each other.  Shakespeare’s use of literary devices contributes to the theme of Romeo and Juliet of how the idea of love can force people to overlook other aspects of life. Shakespeare uses figurative language to give the character’s words more potent meanings and express the powerful connection between the two star-crossed lovers.

Shakespeare relies on similes to give the reader a deeper understanding of the character’s devotion to each other. This is exemplified when Juliet describes her love for Romeo by declaring, “My bounty is as boundless as the sea,/ My love is as deep the more I give to thee,/ the more I have, for both are infinite”  (Shakespeare 2.2 140-142). In comparing her love to it being “as boundless as the sea.” This statement expresses how their love is extensive and unknown, meaning it is undefined and has no end. Further, it emphasizes how their future is unknown; Juliet is not afraid to explore their connection. Shakespeare continues to use similes to demonstrate Romeo’s and Juliet’s feelings for each other. Another example of Romeo describing Juliet is when he says, “O, speak again, bright angel, for thou art/ As glorious to this night, being o’er my head,/ As is a winged messenger of heaven” (Shakespeare 2.2 29-31). Romeo is comparing Juliet’s beauty to an angel from heaven as she is “o’er my head,” comparing her to a saint, which is known to be God’s holy one. Romeo implies that her looks set her apart and she is God’s perfection. Using similes in Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare can provide a more comprehensive representation of the characters’ thoughts, contributing to their love for each other being more important than any other aspect of their lives. 

In addition to similes, Shakespeare uses hyperboles to show how Romeo and Juliet’s love causes their actions to become irrational. When Juliet first meets Romeo, she asks the nurse to find out if Romeo is in a relationship. She cries, “If he be married,/ My grave is like my wedding bed” (Shakespeare 1.5 148-149). Since Juliet’s first glance at Romeo, she feels an instant connection. She finds herself in love with him and is willing to die for him after only knowing him briefly. Juliet would end her life rather than live without him, showing her commitment to Romeo, no matter the circumstance. Shakespeare also uses hyperboles to show how Romeo feels similarly and would die for Juliet. When Romeo and Juliet are on the balcony, Juliet is afraid of what her family would do to Romeo if they saw him there. Romeo ensures Juliet that his “life was better ended by their hate,/ Than death prorogued, wanting of [her] love” (Shakespeare 2.2 82-83). Romeo uses hyperbole to show how he would rather have his life taken from Juliet’s family’s hatred of their love rather than die and never be with Juliet. Romeo and Juliet are willing to die to be affectionate toward each other. This progresses the idea of the theme that love can cause irrational behavior and thoughts.

Metaphors are another tool Shakespeare uses to show how the characters’ perspective of love evolves throughout the play, displaying how the idea of love changes people’s perspectives of life. At the story’s beginning, Romeo is depressed and does not agree with his friend’s understanding of love being soft. Romeo wonders, “Is love a tender thing? It is too rough,/Too rude, too boisterous, and it pricks like a thorn” (Shakespeare 1.5 24-26). Romeo compares love to a thorn showing how he believes love is a sensitive material that can cut someone. For Romeo, the idea of love is too rough, rude, and boisterous for him to want to fall in love. However, after meeting Juliet, he is willing to share his love the same night they meet. When Juliet asks Romeo to leave, he responds, “A thousand times the worst who want thy light./ Love goes toward love as schoolboys from their books/ But love from love, toward school with heavy looks”(Shakespeare 2.2 165-167). This shows Romeo’s devotion to Juliet and his deep love for her. He is unwilling to leave her, and when he does leave her, he is excited to come back and see her again. He had previously thought love to be too rough, but now it seems impossible for him to be apart from her. By using metaphors in Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare gives the reader a better representation of how love can change people.

Using figurative language, Shakespeare gives readers an inside into Romeo and Juliet’s intentions with their words. He allows the audience to feel emotions with the characters and understand what they are saying on a deeper level. A reader can grasp the theme of Romeo and Juliet using similes, hyperboles, and metaphors. The play Romeo and Juliet shows how love makes people overlook different aspects of their lives and how Shakespeare progresses this idea throughout the novel using figurative language. Shakespeare’s use of figurative language allows a modern reader to understand the novel’s intention and purpose, as the reader can look between the lines.


The author's comments:

Shows the comparison between West Side Story and Romeo and Juliet