An Unrivaled Friend | Teen Ink

An Unrivaled Friend

By lacy1111 BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
lacy1111 BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

Humans share an inexplicable bond with dogs. Humans and dogs share little in common, from the anatomical structure to brain function to language, yet the two species can form extremely close bonds.

The partnership between man and dog happened long ago. In East Asia, people began domesticating wolves so the animals could help with jobs. People offered meat to the animals in the surrounding areas to start the domestication process. Certain wolves would take the free food and remain in the area for more. The ones that stuck around were then tamed and bred to create a lineage of obedient animals. Once the animals obeyed their masters, they were taught helpful skills like hunting and tracking. This started the evolution of dogs as pets. 

Today, the bond between humans and dogs is vital because it is a relationship built on actions, not words -- and everyone knows the saying, “Actions speak louder than words.” 

To start, dogs help humans establish routines. It has been proved through science that routines are good for humans. Having a schedule allows people to stay on track and not procrastinate; however, there is little to hold humans to their word. That’s where dogs come in. Society values the animal because it pushes humans to wake up early or stay up late to exercise, feed, and play with the animals. This feeling of accomplishment that comes with staying on routine leads to additional progress in other areas of life. It also establishes a relationship with the animal, causing an emotional bond to be formed. 

Unfortunately, with human-to-human interaction, emotional bonds can be broken quite easily. Dogs, though, are loyal. The pet values its owner and shows its unwavering love in various ways. Having the adoration of a dog is reliable, which is incredible given that society isn’t always that way.

Dogs have become an essential part of our society. While most of them no longer serve their ancestral role of hunting and tracking, they provide a much more critical service to today’s world -- companionship. As learned from science, relationships are just as meaningful as our physical necessities, like food, water, and shelter. So, while dogs seemingly don’t add a particular value to the household, they provide an immeasurable service that will positively impact anyone who accepts the responsibility of raising a dog. 

As a dog owner, I have seen the value of creating an emotional bond with a pet. This relationship made me want to research the history and science of the partnership between man and dog.