Middle School | Teen Ink

Middle School

I was a calm, and happy girl growing up,  I liked to spend time with people I like. I honestly always have enjoyed school, but this time it was different. Now I was  going to middle school, and I had a lot of scary thoughts, like how hard would  tests be, how much  homework would we have? “What if I trip and fall, or what if I just can’t understand something in class and I end up failing the test?” I asked my mom, frightened. “I’m sure you will do great and nothing bad will happen” my mom answered calmly, not thinking much of it. 

Now, summer break was almost over, and I had to go to school really soon. Honestly I had mixed emotions, part of me was excited to meet new people, and see how this new experience would be, but the other part of me was scared for the reasons I previously said. “ School starts very soon, are u excited?” My mom asked “I don’t know” I replied “You know, I’m sure nothing bad will happen, it’s just you thinking negatively” my dad interrupted, and  my mom agreed. 

Tomorrow was my first day of middle school. I was still worried, but calmer. “Alright, time for bed” my mom said  “yes, mom” I replied, then I went to sleep. My alarm clock rang, but I was already up. I did my daily routine, ate breakfast and went to school. I managed to make some friends, and we stayed together till school ended. This was actually so much better than what I was expecting, the people were nice, and the teachers amazing, I liked that we had villages, and our own kingdom. Overall, I enjoyed this day, it was really fun, and I’m sure I’ll still think the same throughout the year. 

In this set piece, I tried writing like Sonia Sanchez, first, an introduction of the protagonist, and interactions between characters using quotation marks. I  wrote in first person, and there were leaps in the story. I wrote about how I thought middle school would be, and some struggles I thought  I would have. Finally, how it actually was, based on my first day. I liked how some parts of my story were relatable to people also going/went through the same experience.