How the Vietnam War Divided the United States | Teen Ink

How the Vietnam War Divided the United States

By wdeanmccollum BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
wdeanmccollum BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

The Vietnam War was a complex and catastrophic conflict that lasted from 1954 to 1975 between the communist government of North Vietnam (Democratic Republic of Vietnam) and the anti-communist government of South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam). The origins of the Vietnam War began during the Vietnamese civilians’ fight for independence after being under French colonial rule. Victory at Dien Bien Phu in 1954, led by the eventual leader of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh, established a new era for the young Southeast Asian country. As a result, Vietnam was divided into two separate entities: the Communist North led by Ho Chi Minh, and the South under Ngo Dinh Diem. Citizens of the newly independent country were given 300 days to locate their desired destination. The North and South division caused tension, as both sides had drastically different values and ideological beliefs. The North was heavily inspired by communist China and the Soviet Union while having ambitions to unify the entire country under communist rule. On the other hand, the South was heavily supported by their ally, the United States, and aimed to establish a non-communist regime. Ho Chi Minh and his aggressive Viet Cong assembly were unafraid to break the peace between the divided sections to attempt a communist takeover. The United States began to get involved by providing military funding for the South when the Viet Cong began advancing. The war began to intensify, and the United States' supply of military aid was soon bolstered, as over 500,000 American troops were deployed in the South by the late 1960s. The American military presence in the South escalated the war effort from the Viet Cong. Guerrilla warfare tactics from the Viet Cong ensued which applied severe pressure on the American-supported South. The war had transitioned into a phase of incessant atrocities, massacres, and soldiers’ torturing, shocking humankind worldwide and triggering anti-war sentiments. What was once a conflict between two divided sides in a small Southeast Asian country, rapidly developed into a controversial war that had a lasting global impact. As a result of the Vietnam War, the United States underwent many intense social changes; however, the divisions in American society represented the largest impact on the nation.

The anti-war movement, which protested against the United States' war efforts, deeply divided American society during the Vietnam War. As soon as casualty numbers were released to the public, protesters began campaigning for anti-war movements. Among these protestors, college students and young people were influential in the movements (Lindig). Early protesting groups were formed at the Berkeley Free Speech Movement, where college students at the University of California, Berkeley challenged to exercise their First Amendment Rights on campus (Lindig). The Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) was also founded to protest against war intervention and fight for rights such as police brutality, racial discrimination, and other hate crimes (Lindig). The SDS generated nationwide attention, gaining hundreds of thousands of followers in support of anti-war efforts (Lindig). A speech was given during a 1965 SDS campaign to inform American citizens about the atrocities and detriments of the Vietnam War provided: “It is a losing war…It is a self-defeating war…It is a dangerous war…It is a hideously immoral war…We dare not remain silent” (“A Call” [Page 1]). During this rally in Washington D.C., the speaker stresses that American military intervention in Vietnam is unnecessary. Not only was the outcome of the war a negative result for America, but the campaigners’ notions were that there was a severe lack of benefits for the United States to intervene by labeling it as “a losing war.” The United States put hundreds of thousands of soldiers at risk in dangerous and unfamiliar territory, which gives the American war effort a useless and “self-defeating” perception. The protestor also states that American war intervention in Vietnam is pointlessly committing murder, giving the country a hideous reputation and further dividing its people. The SDS refused to back down from their strong opinions towards the war effort, as they desired to have their radical political opinions heard by the entire nation. The Kent State University (KSU) Shootings that occurred at an anti-war protest sparked even more conflict as it triggered a massive debate over the importance of the war. On May 4, 1970, hundreds of college students attending KSU protested in reaction to the Cambodian Invasion (“May 4, 1970”), when the US and South Vietnamese invaded communist areas in Cambodia. The protest was peaceful and the students were unarmed, however, the Ohio National Guard unloaded 67 rounds of bullets at the students, killing four and wounding nine others (Lewis and Hensley). The unwarranted killing of the four innocent students ignited an outrage of anti-war sentiment amongst the public. The uncalled-for event was especially shocking to the public during this arduous time because it involved using deadly force on unarmed students. The KSU Shooting represented the growing tension between the anti-war movement and the government. Protests and campaigns to pull troops out of Vietnam were hitting a climax. The event demonstrated that the American government was willing to use lethal force to suppress dissent towards the war effort, which led to a loss of trust in the government for many. The shooting caused a further divide between supporters and opposers of the war. Many supporters of the war viewed the protesting students as disruptive; however, the Kent State Shooting galvanized anti-war campaigners and became more determined to continue protesting against the American war effort. Teach-ins at the University of Michigan helped clarify the atrocities of the war, which started many more movements among young people. These teach-ins were seminars hosted by university professors to “strike in opposition of the ‘moral, political, and military consequences’ of the war” (“The First”). The discussions aimed to act as an open platform for students to share their opinions on American intervention during the Vietnam War (“The First”). Because the teach-ins challenged American government policy during the war, it further pushed the divide in the nation. Many dissenters of the war participated in the discussions and shared their views that directly clashed with those in support of the US war intervention in Vietnam. These sit-ins further diverged supporters and opposers of the United States in the Vietnam War. The teach-ins drew media attention which applied more pressure on the government to respond to the criticism they were receiving from a large demographic of the country. The media garnered more visibility to the atrocities occurring in Southeast Asia which exacerbated the polarization within society. However, supporters for American involvement saw the Michigan teach-ins as unpatriotic and disloyal acts, which undermined the integrity of national unity in America, and further polarized both sides. 

The controversies surrounding the draft for the Vietnam War led to additional disconnect within the United States between citizens who were pro-intervention and anti-intervention. There were two different ideological views people had on the draft: the side that believed being forced to enlist in the war was limiting freedom in America, and, on the other hand, there were draft supporters who claimed that anyone resistant to the draft was disloyal to the United States. Common strategies used by draft evaders were filing to become conscientious objectors, no-showing to consecrations, or making other excuses such as faking injuries and disabilities (Lindig). An underground railroad was also built, connecting to Canada, as a channel for draft resistors (Lindig). It was apparent that a large demographic of eligible soldiers for Vietnam was entirely against the idea of pointlessly fighting in a war with limited benefits. Professional boxer and activist, Muhammad Ali, was also known for notably being drafted into the Vietnam War. He famously stated, “If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn't have to draft me, I'd join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I'll go to jail, so what?” Ali is speaking for the entire assembly of draft dodgers during this quote. He doubts the war’s outcomes, as he suspects “freedom and equality” will not be gained through fighting. Ali clarifies that he is standing up for his beliefs while valuing them over the consequences of avoiding the war. He acknowledges that facing jail time is a realistic repercussion, but is not willing to sacrifice his life for something he does not feel connected to. His statement can also be connected to the circumstances of the Civil Rights Movement. Ali being drafted for the war was a distraction for one of his main motives: protesting for black rights. Because of Ali’s influence in America during this time, his public opinions on the war caused controversy amongst his supporters and further divided the nation, as not many athletes of his stature expressed their views about the Vietnam War draft. Contrary to the beliefs of Muhammad Ali and other draft evaders, a large portion of the United States strongly believed that representing America in the war showed strength and integrity while avoiding the war showed cowardness and disloyalty. Those who supported intervention in Vietnam pushed for laws to punish draft resistors. In 1965, the Draft Card Mutilation Act was signed, stating that it was a criminal offense for a draft prospect to destroying their draft card (Friedman). Draft card burning was a popular way that draft resistors protested against being deployed in Vietnam (Friedman). However, with the new law that prohibited this form of protesting, it was destined to continue the flaring tempers within the polarized nation. The mandate of the new mutilation act was updated to appear on every draft card, providing a constant reminder to resistors that there were severe consequences of a five-year jail sentence or fines that went up to $10,000 (Figure 1). The enactment of the Draft Card Mutilation Act was meant to instill fear amongst draft resistors to make them feel more inclined to join the war effort. However, this new law did the opposite and further pushed the divide between supporters and opposers of the draft. Card burners who were convicted of violating the Draft Card Mutilation Act faced legal consequences which fueled the debates over the limits of free speech and the government’s response to dissent. The physical action of destroying the draft cards also gave those in support of the draft the idea that draft resisters were disrespectful and harmful to the country because of the way they treated regulations.

The Vietnam War created a racial divide in American society and simultaneously aggravated the momentous Civil Rights Movement. The African American population was affected differently than other demographics during the Vietnam War (“American Minority”). They made up 31% of the troops sent to Vietnam, despite only 12% of the American population at the time (“American Minority”). Blacks also made up a high percentage of America’s overall casualty rates in the war compared to their white counterparts (“American Minority”). These stats show the significant overrepresentation of blacks serving in the military compared to the overall population. The distinctive variation between black and white military members raised questions about the fairness of draft policies, which further intensified the ongoing Civil Rights Movement. During this time, African Americans were already advocating for equal rights to end discrimination, however, the disproportionate representation of blacks in the military further set the minority back and deepened the already segregated racial divide. Additionally, the statement about black casualties exhibits how the minority in the military was suffering the consequences of fighting in Vietnam more than the dominant demographic. These factors contributed to increased polarization and a sense of frustration among African Americans and their supporters, which motivated activists to continue to rally for the removal of injustice during the Civil Rights Movement. Not only were African Americans facing discrimination on American soil, but the black soldiers also faced prejudice when fighting for the army in Vietnam. In an interview with TIME, Vietnam veteran, Duery Felton stated, “Out in the field, everyone had to depend on everyone, but when you got back to base camp, you had what you’d call de facto segregation” (Chow and Bates). Felton describes the importance of the soldiers relying on each other during battle. However, after battling, the black soldiers were forced to face the reality of de facto segregation which contributed to the division of America. There was a clear contrast in the unity experienced on the battlefield compared to the segregation at the base camps which reinforced racial discrimination in the military and society. Felton’s description of de facto segregation contradicts the United State’s claim to endorse equality and justice. This breach inflamed tempers within the Civil Rights Movement and made a large part of the population question their trust in the government. The de facto segregation in the base camps could be seen as America mistreating its own people, which solidified the belief that the war was unjust and that the government prioritized foreign conflict over addressing systemic issues on American soil. 

The Vietnam War’s impact on American society can still be felt today, as the divisions that emerged continue to socially and politically shape the US. The anti-war effort during the era set a precedent for future movements, such as the recent Black Lives Matter Movement, which also advocated for change and challenged established norms. The divide that the draft displayed was the nation’s ability to become alienated when met with disagreement. The racial divide that was deepened during the Vietnam War and the setback to the Civil Rights Movement can be related to the continuing struggles America had with prejudice and discrimination against minorities to this day. Although absolute societal change has not come to fruition since the conclusion of the Vietnam War, the time period can serve as a lesson for American society to strive for a more inclusive and cohesive society.

I have been passionate about the Vietnam War for a long time, and now Teen Ink has presented an opportunity for me to write an essay about it!