Walk | Teen Ink

Walk

June 1, 2023
By Anonymous

An open miraculous blue sky with clouds hung overhead like model planes on a child's bedroom ceiling. Wind howling through an open squirrel's borrow sculpted into the flesh of a mighty oak tree. Dirt paths unusually smooth. Flowers stretching across the valleys bunched up like a bundle of markers in a junk drawer, beautiful and vibrant in all the right places.


Practically taking a portal into another dimension. Buildings tickle the very clouds that hang in the sky. Walking along the very sidewalks has you under the impression that merely a spec exploring lively trenches. A smog coats this place like a blanket as if the city fears the cold like a family bundling up next to the fire during a harsh winter storm.


The author's comments:

I choose these Stylistic Devices to accentuate the feeling of actually being in this scene at the very moment forcing your brain to make connections, making it more relatable but thought about in different ways yet still always meaning the same thing. I used a simile when I said, “Flowers stretching across the valleys bunched up like a bundle of markers in a junk drawer.” I used personification when I said, “Buildings tickle the very clouds that hang in the sky.” I used sensory imagery when I said, “Dirt paths unusually smooth.”