The Folly of French Philosophical Optimism | Teen Ink

The Folly of French Philosophical Optimism

Every relationship, whether it is between two people, many people, or an entire society, is built on the basis of power. This dynamic can manifest in two ways: balanced and imbalanced, the latter of which is present more often than not. This can typically be attributed to manipulation of one party over another, which can be observed in 18th century France. During this period, a fresh wave of optimistic philosophers in France presented their deterministic, all-for-the-best attitudes to the public, and it rapidly grew in popularity among both the higher and lower classes. In higher classes, it was used to justify selfish actions, and in the lower classes, it was used to endure hardships imposed on them by the higher class citizens. In his satirical novel, Candide, Voltaire explores the effect of optimism through the character, Candide. Using juxtaposition and irony, Voltaire criticizes French Philosophical Optimism because it promotes a naive society tolerant of injustices. Although he acknowledges the benefit of balanced optimism, Voltaire warns the French of such an unduly ignorant perspective, which escalates the power imbalances of 18th century France. 

Voltaire juxtaposes the opposing perspectives of the societal classes to prove how optimism blinds the French people to social injustices because of their optimism. After being denied shelter by a couple, Candide is brought in by a man named James, to whom he says “Master Pangloss has well said that all is for the best in this world”. Not a sentence later, Voltaire represents a scene of a “a beggar all covered with scabs, his eyes diseased, the end of his nose eaten away,...” (page 8). The juxtaposition between Candide’s positive perspective and the reality of the beggar shows a blatant difference in treatment between the two. However, because of his unrattled optimism, Candide is blind to this and merely focused on the generosity shown to him while ignoring the disregard toward the beggar. By doing so, he promotes a society in which people are ignorant to the adversities of lower class citizens, like the beggar, and without change, they will remain in their difficult situation. 

Although his main focus is to prove the dangers of blind optimism inspired by French philosophers of the time, Voltaire also identifies the benefits of balanced optimism by juxtaposing the extremes of optimism and pessimism. After facing countless hardships along his journey, Candide begins to lose faith in optimism and asks Martin whether humanity has always been so selfish. Martin answers “if hawks had the same character why should you imagine that men may have changed theirs?”. Martin’s overly pessimistic views on life are a clear juxtaposition to Master Pangloss’s overly optimistic views on life. By blatantly comparing the two, Voltaire displays the flaws in each philosophy; blind optimism creates a tolerant society and absolute pessimism promotes a negative society reluctant to change. Such technique begs the reader to find a middle ground between the two and focus on a balance of both perspectives to view the world. 

By using ironic satire, Voltaire illustrates the dangers of powerful people employing extreme optimism and debunks their justification for doing so. After killing an Inquisitor and Jesuit to protect Cunegonde, Candide sails to Latin America where he kills two monkeys who he thought were harassing a couple girls. To this he thinks, “If I have committed a sin in killing an Inquisitor and a Jesuit, I have made ample amends by saving the lives of these girls” (pages 45-46). The reader learns later in the chapter that the monkeys were not harassing the girls. Even if the girls were in danger, Candide’s justification is ironic because the “saving” of one life clearly does not compensate for taking another. Candide’s optimistic perspective causes him to justify any of his heinous actions, even if those reasons are completely illogical. By being able to commit horrible actions without repercussions, Candide (and everyone else who employs this perspective) perpetuates a society in which people are allowed to do terrible things with no consequences. 

Using juxtaposition and irony, Voltaire criticizes French Philosophical Optimism because it promotes a naive society tolerant of injustices. Although he acknowledges the benefit of balanced optimism, Voltaire warns the French of such an unduly ignorant perspective, which escalates the power imbalances instated in French society. Not only do we see this power dynamic in 18th century France, but we can observe it today, caused by the exact same issue: blind optimism. People in powerful positions often justify their actions through a selfishly optimistic lens, rationalizing their terrible behavior and ignoring their own faults. Comparatively, powerless people are tolerant to injustices against them since they believe “they deserve it” because of their lower position, or that “it could be worse”, and they are only being dramatic. Relationships are fragile things and are complicated with various factors that alter the balance of power and control within them. However, it is time to start analyzing power dynamics in relationships to create a more fair and equitable society. The answer is right there; you just have to stop ignoring it.

Voltaire's Candide opens many people's eyes to the issue behind blind optimism. After reading it, I decided to share my understanding of the topic and hope that people are inspired to read the book and explore the issue, too.