Social Anxiety: Causes, Effects, Treatments | Teen Ink

Social Anxiety: Causes, Effects, Treatments

Social anxiety, as with other personality traits, is seen to be deeply rooted into someone's nature, but this could not be further from the truth. Recent research and testing has shown the real reason that many develop social anxiety, and where it really comes from. Risk factors during a child’s developmental stages, such as family history or negative experiences are a main cause of social anxiety. 

Being affected by a physical or mental condition that is very noticeable can also cause someone to be socially anxious. Some people with simple conditions such as a stutter may feel anxiety or extreme pressure when talking to new people as they would be afraid of constantly being judged by the person they are talking to. A person who has suffered from a condition or accident in the past may be left with physical scars or marks on their body which would be easily noticeable to anyone they physically talk to or interact with. This could cause the person to have severe anxiety about people they meet judging the way they look. Past experiences could be another contributing factor to social anxiety. People who have faced experiences in the past where they have been teased or shamed by others may find it hard to talk to new people as they could think new people would do the same to them as well.

New experiences like giving a speech or any kind of public speaking as well as any situations that can cause a strong sense of self-consciousness can be the beginning of social anxiety in a person. Social anxiety to many people is simply the fear of being constantly judged based on one’s actions or looks. Having social anxiety, no matter how severe or not, can lead to many negative effects on someone's life. They may have low self-esteem or become depressed and antisocial. Some people with social anxiety may not be able to attend gatherings or even school because of their severe anxiety. This could lead to an extremely negative work life or academic life with attendance affecting grades and quality of work as well as life. Self-isolation and negative self-talk can lead to more harsh consequences with some people making attempts on their own life or cutting important people out of their lives. 

However, having social anxiety is not simply the end of the line for everyone. Getting help early on while developing social anxiety allows one to become more acquainted with themself and with other people. Seeking help from a social worker or therapist can help get rid of social anxiety in many people. Providing a positive home environment and encouraging one to meet new people can also help ease someone into society. Avoiding the use of harmful substances as well as recording your own thoughts and behaviors in a journal can help you come to accept yourself and help others do the same as well. Social anxiety is something that many people can have but isn’t the end for everyone. 

I researched this for a STEM competition.