Unncssary | Teen Ink

Unncssary

It’s a broadly-known fact that symbol #5 in Latin’s script is, by far, most commonly writ in this linguistic form, with analysis of a California Ivy school’s vast library showing symbol #5 making up roughly 13% of all glyphs put in print. Fully cutting it out of your writing would show that you had a truly skillful way with words, and thus, it should not shock us that authors dating to antiquity try to avoid it as most avoid a virus. A popular originator of this trial is Oulipo, an association of authors from Paris who took on many additional travails of linguistics; among such difficult jobs, symbol-5 dodging is most known in worlds of public information. In addition, an author known as Wright has writ a full book, Gadsby, with no symbol-5 within its binding, totalling 50,000 words, and a Parisian did similarly with La Disparition, or A Void. Having fought with this task prior, as a way of adding to my vocabulary, I can say that it is full of unusual difficulty not found in typical writing. A typical situation; with common sayings off-limits, you must, from scratch, concoct a word-string in such a way that an individual looking at your work could grasp what you want to say. You must consult a synonym dictionary at usual durations, and if a word has no obvious substitution, you must choppily construct an unnatural symbol-string or math-symbol shortcut that might look similar. Still, saying things again and again is all too common; you may spot that “known” shows up on 5 additional occasions in this work’s body. Don’t try to put math-symbols into word-symbol script, for symbol-5 lurks within almost all math-symbols, such as 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10; and thus all math-symbols containing such parts must too go out of your writing. Most crippling of all, you cannot put into print a word crucial to making known what you wish to discuss, a word so ubiquitous its null status is known within 2nds of starting to look at any print without it. All in all, though, nobody would try this if it wasn’t fun to do, and it is this quandary’s difficulty that grants colossal satisfaction upon conclusion of any writing without symbol-5. Fin.