A School Of Fish | Teen Ink

A School Of Fish

By mrchettoor BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
mrchettoor BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Albert Einstein once said, “Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” Traditional schooling, specifically in America, judges a whole school of fish by their ability to climb trees. The majority of modern classrooms use the same outdated teaching techniques while expecting each student to learn and perform at the same rate as their peers. By relying on an unadaptable curriculum, the education system doesn't take into account an individual’s learning capacity or implement the necessary skills to succeed in our evolving world. 

During the pandemic, switching from whiteboards and lectures to self-paced applications and interactive apps demonstrated our capability to modify the education system. While this change was temporary, it gave a glimpse into new possibilities that would help meet society’s needs. Now that we’re back in classrooms, it’s the perfect time to stop the one-size-fits-all educational approach and begin implementing an individualized teaching plan that highlights each students’ strengths, weaknesses, needs, and interests. First, teachers will have to determine what learning style caters best to each student. Once that’s established, schools should construct a goal-orientated teaching system that includes how students will learn, what they already know, and what they need to understand. By adopting this practice, the academic performance of most students should improve, not only because they are learning the way they want to, but because they are enjoying it.

The education system should refrain from pushing the idea that pursuing STEM careers is the only way to be successful in life. Molding students into doctors and engineers doesn’t satisfy the career goals of students that excel in performing arts, visual arts, or athletics. If a child knows they want to be an artist, then they should have a schedule paving the way for a career in the arts. After all, education is meant to build a foundation of knowledge for students, so it should be constructed with the hope that they achieve a fulfilling life doing what they love. 

Although switching to a personalized education system may take time and effort, it is a necessary step to accommodate the ever-changing demands of the 21st century. The education system is fundamental in creating generations of bright and motivated students who enjoy learning. This can be accomplished by making the curriculum engaging and fit to handle the necessities of every student, big or small. It’s time we change the way we teach students, and instead of judging them on their ability to climb a tree, we should judge them on their ability to swim.  

My name is Maria Chettoor and I'm currently a senior in high school. This piece means a lot to me because I believe that schools should provide students with the opportunity to succeed in any subject they wish to pursue. As a science and art enthusiast, having an education that values both subjects equally helps me be a better student.