EASING THE PANDEMIC RESTRICTIONS HAS UNDERLYING BENEFITS FOR MENTAL HEALTH | Teen Ink

EASING THE PANDEMIC RESTRICTIONS HAS UNDERLYING BENEFITS FOR MENTAL HEALTH

By krishnak BRONZE, Brampton, Ontario
krishnak BRONZE, Brampton, Ontario

How simple is socializing with other individuals? Beginning as toddlers and maturing to this day, we have still not been able to outgrow the sense of socializing with others which continues to be an essential tool for all people of all ages. However, the world shared a reluctant response to the restrictions enforced during the COVID-19 pandemic, especially its toll on interactions with others. Yet despite these hardships, some continued to persevere through other means of technology and remaining long distances. According to Statistics Canada, over 57% of Canadians 15 years of age and older video conference with family and friends more often since the start of the pandemic, the highest proportion among all Internet-related activities. With advancements in digital technology occurring at a rapid pace, excessive screen time has become a grave concern. Evidently, the easing of the pandemic restrictions has benefited the mental well-being of Canadians. While most people have shown gratitude towards the termination of these regulations, some have had mixed emotions. UBC psychiatry professor Dr. Steven Taylor shared his opinions regarding the situation, stating that “It’s important to recognize that a pandemic doesn’t end at the same time for everyone. We all have varying comfort levels and risk factors to consider. We need to be patient, accepting, and compassionate of everyone taking things at a pace that is right for them.” Though every Canadian has endured the pandemic, some have been exposed to harder phases of the issue than others, placing them in a vulnerable state towards returning to pre-pandemic life. 

During the Canadian Internet Use Survey conducted from November 2020 to March 2021, it was reported that nearly 75% of Canadians 15 years of age and older engaged in various Internet-related activities more often since the onset of the pandemic. This sudden uprise in internet use has created a dependency on an unsustainable lifestyle that has persuaded Canadians to rely on virtual reality to provide entertainment and as a method of passing through the day. However, these sudden changes include detrimental effects on the mental health of Canadians, especially teenagers. The sudden decrease in patience and tolerance, inability to concentrate, disturbed sleep cycles promoting absenteeism in online educational classes, and excessive usage of smartphones have been some of the many drastic effects of the pandemic’s restrictions on Canadians. The Center for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto reports that adolescents and young adults aged 15–24 exhibited higher levels of psychological distress than other age groups. Another survey shows that 47.3% of participants aged 15–24 experienced at least moderate depression symptoms due to the pandemic.  COVID-19 pandemic impacts such as starting to work from home, school or university closings, pay cuts due to reduced hours/demand for work, inability to make rent/mortgage payments, and being laid off or losing a job, have been closely associated with depression symptoms found in the 15–24 age group. Yet the ongoing debate of whether the benefits of the restrictions outweigh its flaws still remains a debate. 

Counterclaim: 

While nations such as Canada were negatively impacted by the effects of the pandemic restrictions, some nations have seen the benefit of these restrictions. In nations such as Cuba where democracy is hardly recognized, citizens have longed for a sense of freedom. When the pandemic took its toll, Cubans were forced to receive education and schooling from their own homes. This was an evident issue for a nation whose laws consist primarily of internet regulations and a strict ban on news outlets and access to internet sources such as Google. Thus the government had to move toward a progressive approach and allow its citizens to gain access to the internet. Those whose wages couldn’t support access to the internet could receive education through national TV networks televised across the nation. With this much-needed change of laws and regulations, Cuba has certainly improved the quality of life for its citizens. Dr. Joseph Dieleman, from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, said: “Efforts to improve the health of adults might benefit from funding programs that help countries to strengthen their democratic processes.” While the nation still continues to follow its path of communist ideologies, potential conversion to Democracy may serve as a turning point in both the nation's history and the wellbeing of its citizens. As a result, the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions forced a crackdown on political ideologies, moreover the communist theories which have threatened the nation’s democracy for many years, and has now proved to be a benefit more than a burden. 

The restrictions and COVID-19 have indirectly increased the comfort levels of those who felt obliged to follow the law rather than oppose it. The constant usage of masks has become systemic which can lead to effects on their social life and mental health. Though many have begun to adapt to the changes of life returning to the pre-COVID phase, many still have mixed feelings. Their level of anxiety with the virus may have gone far too extensive compared to others which may force them to move away from the mask much slower than others. However, the anxiety was not just caused by the usage of masks, as other side effects of the pandemic took their toll on the mental health of individuals. In 2020, the risk factors for poor mental health such as financial insecurity, unemployment, and fear had increased, while protective factors such as social connection, employment, educational engagement, access to physical exercise, daily routine, and access to health services had decreased. The anxiety can be dealt with in many ways, through contacting close ones or through dealing with a professional counselor for guidance. Furthermore, the reduction of restrictions seen throughout the last 6 months has forced people to experience life out of their comfort zones and to overcome personal stigmas within, forcing a gradual shift to reality. Overall, moving away from COVID-19 will help society to shift its perspective and focus on the bigger issues ahead, some of which may not be as biological, while others may be heading towards a similar path. 

Bibliography

Managing mental health as pandemic restrictions ease. UBC Faculty of Medicine. 2022, March 23. med.ubc.ca/news/managing-mental-health-as-pandemic-restrictions-ease/

11 tips to cope with anxiety about getting "back to normal". NHS choices. (2022) nhs.uk/every-mind-matters/coronavirus/tips-to-cope-with-anxiety-lockdown-lifting/

Mental illness and addiction: Facts and statistics. Centre for Addiction and Mental Health.
(2021) camh.ca/en/driving-change/the-crisis-is-real/mental-health-statistics

Tackling the mental health impact of the COVID-19 crisis: An integrated, whole-of-society response. Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. 2021, May 12. oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/tackling-the-mental-health-impact-of-the-covid-19-crisis-an-integrated-whole-of-society-response-0ccafa0b/

What has the impact of the pandemic been on Mental Health? Mind. (2022) mind.org.uk/coronavirus-we-are-here-for-you/coronavirus-research/

Mark Rice-Oxley. Democracy is good for your health and heart, Major Study finds. The Guardian. 2019, March 13. theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/13/democracy-is-good-for-your-health-and-heart-major-study-finds

Easing of restrictions leads to improved mental health. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2020, July 13. abs.gov.au/media-centre/media-releases/easing-restrictions-leads-improved-mental-health

Bilodeau, H., Minnema, N., & Kehler, A. Internet use and COVID-19: How the pandemic increased the amount of time Canadians spend online. Statistics Canada. 2021, June 24. www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/45-28-0001/2021001/article/00027-eng.htm

Krishna, the author of this work, is currently a high school student from Canada. His passions have been life science and medicine and as a result, he wrote this article following extensive research looking at the benefits of reduced restrictions on the mental health of individuals in society.