Bulimia | Teen Ink

Bulimia

Bulimia nervosa, also known as just bulimia, is an eating disorder where you eat large amounts of food and then purge to get rid of the calories. Bulimia is a disorder that not many people know about, and I want to spread more awareness about it and how dangerous it is. People with bulimia secretly binge and lose control of the food they eat, and then regret it, leading up to getting rid of calories in unhealthy ways. A famous example is Princess Diana, according to the insider she did have this eating disorder and talked about it publicly (Friel, 2020). If you have bulimia, you are preoccupied with your weight and how your body looks. You judge yourself constantly for your own flaws. Bulimia has a lot more to do with body image than food, which is what makes it so hard to overcome. But with healthy treatment, you can get back to feeling good about yourself and eating regularly.  
Symptoms that you might be developing bulimia are being obsessed and having your life rotate around your weight/body shape, fear of gaining weight, repeated episodes of eating abnormally without stopping, forcing yourself to vomit or exercise too much after eating, using laxatives or supplements when not needed, and starving between binges. The severity of bulimia is determined by how many times a week you vomit, usually at least once a week for around 3 months. “Bulimia teeth” are also very common which occurs when your teeth are decaying or being stained, caused by stomach acids and frequently vomiting. People should take bulimia’s health risks seriously because it can lead to heart failure and even muscle weakness.  
According to mayoclinic.org the exact cause of bulimia is unknown, but things like genetics, mental health, and social expectations may play a role in developing it. People that have first-degree relatives with eating disorders are more likely to develop an eating disorder. Emotional and psychological problems such as anxiety, depression, or substance use are directly linked with eating disorders too. Things like social media also make people compare themselves to others and try to be perfect. This has influenced teens because they want to fit into the body standard so bad that they harm themselves. Nobody is expected to look that way, but social media convinces us differently. 
If you start developing bulimia symptoms, you need to seek medical help as soon as possible. If left untreated, bulimia can severely damage your body. First you should reach out to an adult or a mental health professional about your symptoms and how you’re feeling. Treatment is the most effective thing but if you are against it, talk about what you are going through to someone, whether it’s a friend, a loved one, or a therapist. He or she can help you in taking the steps to get a successful recovery.