Autism Is Not a Disease | Teen Ink

Autism Is Not a Disease

Autism is not a disease. In fact, it is not a mental illness either. “It means your brain works in a different way from other people” (NHS). Even though Autism is not a disease or a mental illness, it still cannot be cured. People have a negative idea in their mind about autism. They think autistic people are simple-minded, have a disease or other things. This is all because they are not properly informed about the topic. In this essay, I will try to clarify some things about autism so people can be more open-minded towards autistic people after reading my essay. 
     There is a spectrum of levels of autism which is why it is called autism spectrum disorder. People have harsher symptoms If they are higher up on the spectrum (Rober). This is a common misconception about Autism. People think that if you have autism, you are dumb or you cannot fit into society. Even those with an elevated level in the spectrum of Autism can learn to fit within social limits, such as working and going to school like everyone else 
      The CDC defines autism as: “autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a developmental disability caused by differences in the brain. (CDC)” Autism is a disorder that makes mental development harder for the people affected by it. The cause of this more difficult mental development is that the people affected have differences in the brain compared to unaffected people.  
     Autistic people do not have a filter in their mind like the public does. This is what causes Autistic people to have outbursts or to be thought of as unfitting to social boundaries. So, for example, if I am out at the park and the kids are screaming and crying and the dogs are barking and the people around me are talking and the cotton candy and popcorn vendor is shouting, an individual who is not affected by autism can focus their attention to what the person next to them is saying (Rober). I can leave all the different sounds in the park and focus just on one. Autistic people cannot do this, and they have sensory overload from all the different noises and sounds. They cannot take it anymore and they get frustrated. This is what causes them to shout and get frustrated. 
     Autistic people like repetition because they know that it ends in a certain way that they either like or dislike. For example, having the same bedtime routine for an autistic kid is very good because they know that after that it is time for bed, and they will not do anything else except for sleep.  
     People affected by Autism are just like us, but their brains are just wired differently. There is no disease or mental illness affecting their actions or any reason they cannot be a part of society. They are humans as well and they can do anything that we can. So, any prejudice that anyone has towards Autistic people about their intelligence or ability to be a part of society, is simply wrong. 
                                                     Works Cited: 
CDC. “Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC, 2 May           2022, cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/index.html  
NHS. “What Is Autism?” NHS Choices, NHS, 18 Apr. 2019,        nhs.uk/conditions/autism/what-is-autism/. 
Rober, Mark. “The Truth about My Son.” YouTube, uploaded by Mark Rober, 16 Apr. 2021, youtube.com/watch?v=ybPgmjTRvMo&t=8s