The Long-Term and Short-Term Effects of Alcohol Abuse | Teen Ink

The Long-Term and Short-Term Effects of Alcohol Abuse

May 31, 2022
By Anonymous

Alcohol is more popular in the United States than it has been since the 1930’s. A study conducted by Brown University in 2021 found that “78% of adult Americans engage in alcohol use weekly and 56% engage in alcohol use daily”(Brown University). The study also found that “37% of those surveyed began using alcohol before the legal age of 21”(Brown University). Clearly, Americans use alcohol often. With recent events such as the coronavirus and the war in Ukraine many Americans likely find the use of alcohol calming and a good way to take off the edge. However, a study conducted by Caron in 2021 found that “More than 6 percent of adults in the U.S. have an alcohol use disorder, about 1 in 12 men and 1 in 25 women. An additional 623,000 people between the ages of 12 and 17 have alcohol use disorders. About 88,000 people die of alcohol-related causes every year in the United States”(Caron). With numbers these large, something clearly needs to be done about the issues of alcohol abuse in the United States. But to do that, one first needs to be able to understand what these issues are, how they arise, and what can be done to prevent that. Then and only then can we begin to deal with the tragic issue of alcohol abuse in American society.


Alcohol usage and abuse has many short-term effects. One of these effects is a decrease in fine motor skills. Someone suffering from drunkenness may not be able to move and react as well as they would if they were not drunk. Depth perception, or the ability to comprehend multiple fields of vision, also suffers. This is why people who are drunk are not legally allowed to drive cars. Another short-term effect of alcohol usage is drunkenness itself. Drunkenness, or “the state of being intoxicated”(Webster’s Dictionary), involves a feeling of lightness and emotional and physical detachment. Drunkenness is displayed differently in different people. Some might feel dizzy while others might have a heightened sense of emotions such as anger or sadness. The intensity of drunkenness depends on the age, body mass, and alcohol experience of the person consuming the beverage. Someone who has drank alcohol for years might have only a sense of calm whereas someone new to alcohol might feel frightened or angry. Yet another short term effect of alcohol usage is a hang-over. A hang-over is a feeling of exhaustion and ennui that occurs when someone wakes up after having experienced drunkenness prior to going to bed. This can make someone less productive in a day. For someone who abuses alcohol and is constantly hung-over, this can put their professional and private life in jeopardy. These are just some of the short-term effects of alcohol usage and abuse.


There are several very dangerous long-term effects of alcohol usage and abuse. I will be focusing on two particular ones here:illness and social and professional wellness. Long-term alcohol abuse can lead to such illnesses as “high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, liver disease, digestive problems, cancer of the breast, mouth, throat, esophagus, voice box, liver, colon, and rectum”(CDC). Stroke and liver disease are especially common. All of these diseases can kill if not treated properly and even when treated, the effects of these diseases can linger, even returning if the abuse of the alcohol returns to previous levels. All of these diseases are easily preventable by only consuming alcohol in small, infrequent doses.An abuse of alcohol can also cause one to lose their job and break away from their family and friends. Someone who frequently suffers from alcohol abuse can be a poor and insufficient worker who doesn’t complete their work well or at all. Those who abuse alcohol can also be withdrawn and prone to fits of anger and depression. This can drive people away and cause relationships to suffer. These are just some of the long-term effects of alcohol abuse. 


As you can see, alcohol can have deadly shor and long-term effects. If you or someone you love suffers from alcohol abuse you should reach out to a therapist based on alcohol abuse and addiction to help you or your loved one recover. After all, recovery always begins with someone speaking up.


The author's comments:

I wrote this for health class. Enjoy.