Sensory Overloads | Teen Ink

Sensory Overloads

By Nyx_Amore SILVER, San Diego, California
Nyx_Amore SILVER, San Diego, California

"If I can't make people laugh, I'll make them cry."

Sensory overload is something you may or may not have heard of. Although it is common for children and people with autism or other neurological differences, such as ADHD or anxiety, anyone of any age can experience it. Sensory overload occurs when one of the five senses, usually hearing or sight, cannot process the environment. In this article, I will try to explain sensory overload causes and things to help calm someone experiencing it.

There are many things that can trigger sensory overload. Some common ones are loud sounds, unexpected or unwanted physical contact, crowded places, dislike of textures(clothing or food), and bright lights. Sensory overload is something I would describe as similar to a panic attack. Common reactions to overstimulation include:

-Covering eyes and ears 

-Irritability

-Stress

-Avoiding touch

-Restlessness 

-Fear

-Feeling jittery or hyperactive

-Trying to leave triggering situations or rooms

Sensory overload can be difficult to deal with if you don’t recognize or know what’s going on. Some ways you can deal with sensory overload are:

-Soundproof headphones: Wearing these headphones will help block out any distracting noises, white noise or other music is very helpful. Personally, this helps the most.

-Therapy: Speaking with a professional is good! They can provide support and help you get to the bottom of the overloads.

-Avoid triggers: If you’re going to do something that will trigger you, DON’T! Your mental health is extremely important!

-Take care of yourself: If you don’t take care of yourself, the chances of experiencing an overload are higher!

-Something that calms you: Do something that calms you, it’s very effective.