Just a Typical Tuesday Afternoon | Teen Ink

Just a Typical Tuesday Afternoon

October 28, 2019
By Anonymous

An adult hands her a bright white blouse, a navy skirt, stockings, and a shining red ribbon. She tosses on the white shirt, steps into her skirt and stockings, and ties the bloody noose around her neck. Off to prison she goes. 

As she is escorted to her cell, she glances at the people around her. There were groups of people, all separated from each other. They all look at her in disgust. She looks down at her shoes and hands. Is there something wrong with me? She manages to glance at the environment around her. Rusty fences, old benches, and run-down rooms is all she can see. 

Once she arrives at her cell, they tie weights and chains to her. One by one, the heavy metal drags her down to the ground. She whines and struggles to break free.

“You’re better than this.” they say. “You’re not trying hard enough. You’re useless and stupid. You should know this.” They turn to leave and lock the door behind them, as if nothing happened. She can barely stand. She tries to rip the weights off, but only hurts herself. The river starts flowing, waterfalling down from the mountains. It soon drips into the polluted sea, where the coral and fish have died. Everyone can see it, but no one does anything about it. It starts flooding with the corpses of sea life, oil, and salty water. All they do is stare as she drowns underneath her grief.

Just a typical Tuesday afternoon


The author's comments:

My writing pursuit is symbolism. I wanted to show the pressures of school and make the reader think more about what each word means.