Why I Want to Pursue Philosophy | Teen Ink

Why I Want to Pursue Philosophy

June 26, 2019
By MatthewMa BRONZE, San Francisco, California
MatthewMa BRONZE, San Francisco, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

An unstoppable train is heading down the track. You can divert the train into a group of workers or into a group of children. Where would you divert the train? This is a philosophical question that many philosophers encounter. You might think this question is useless in your life. Indeed, you probably won’t face this exact dilemma, but you will face other hard choices in life. How would you solve the dilemmas in your life? You may use logic, religious beliefs, or cost-benefit analysis. These are all forms of philosophy. Philosophy provides clarity in life. This is why I want to pursue philosophy.

If you understand different schools of philosophy, you expand your thinking to deal with more situations in life. I believe that flexibility of will help me formulate my thoughts and attack problems from many different angles. The inflexibility of the mind makes you a slave to your mind. Imagine that you are in a mixed martial arts match. Let’s say you only know how to use Wing Chun. Since the Wing Chun style does not deal with situations on the ground, you would get beaten by someone who is trained in Jiu Jitsu style. The Wing Chun style was developed in southern China. It it a self-defense mechanism. If you  are getting mugged, the Wing Chun style can help you parry attacks at your torso and counter attack. It was never meant for competitive combat. If you know more styles, you will be able to deal with more opponents. In real-world situations, if you understand multiple schools of philosophies, you will be less likely to run into trouble.

 An example would be a United States citizen working in another country. He or she would be perplexed by the difference in work ethics. Things such as leaving before your boss, work hours, and management are very different in other countries. In Confucianism, there’s a  lot of value regarding respecting authorities. So if you leave before your boss in Asian countries, you will get fired or looked down upon.  

 The inflexibility of your thinking could also make you prone to manipulation. Parents that follows Confucianism will most likely be manipulated by tutoring agencies. The tutoring agencies could use their authoritative knowledge to leech off unsuspecting parents. Because the parents will believe whatever the “authority” says, they can be easily manipulated.

I will use philosophy as a vehicle that explores my beliefs and actions. As Aristotle once said, “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” We often find ourselves busy doing some activity like a sport or a homework assignment. How often do we ask ourselves why are we doing this? We contemplate even less the beliefs we hold. But many don’t realize that our beliefs hold us back from accomplishing our long-term goals. Let me demonstrate. Why did the Qing Dynasty fall, while neighboring Japan was able to resist foreign domination? It is because Qing Dynasty followed a very extreme form of Confucianism. Qing officials thought that they can learn nothing from foreigners and Chinese culture was inherently superior. As British Lieutenant John Ouchterlony remarked, “The mercantile profession is not held in high estimation among the Chinese... the subdued tone which we had maintained towards them should have brought them to regard us in the light of an inferior people.” He meant that Chinese people often look down at merchants, and refuse to trade with the British. Because of this the Chinese technology could not advance. Eventually the Qing Dynasty fell, while Japan expanded. A lesson can be learned. The inability to examine your beliefs and actions will lead to bad results. Self-introspection help you realize your weaknesses and strengths. It will aid you in reach of your ultimate goals. In self-introspection, philosophy will bring a counterbalance against your belief. This will help you weigh out what’s right and what’s wrong.

Philosophy often last, while science does not. Science states a more contemporary truth, while philosophy states a universal truth. Let me demonstrate with an example: Bohr’s atomic model was introduced in 1913. The model continues to be  taught in schools. With the passing of time, the model was proven incorrect. Today’s scientific community models the atom with an electron cloud which is based off the principles of quantum mechanics. The electrons are the cloud. The cloud represents the  statistical probability of finding the electron within the region. They do not orbit around the nucleus like a planet. This fact demonstrates that science often does not state the absolute truth. Science changes. Philosophy, on the other hand, is completely different. Let’s examine the philosophy of Stoicism. The idea of Stoicism was created in 300 B.C. Three thousand years later, people still practice Stoicism because they find strength in it. To be a Stoic, one must be able to endure hardship whilst not complaining. Complaining will not improve future outcomes. In Marcus Aurelius’s Meditations, he believes it is necessary to control impulses in order to change overall behavior. If Marcus Aurelius was a student doing homework, he would eliminate all the temptations— No cell phones, no TVs, and no computers. He would take all steps to remove sources of procrastination. Students would be better off if they were taught the teachings of Marcus Aurelius. Stoicism gives you freedom from your impulses in order to achieve your long-term goals. You see, philosophies like these are universally true and can endure the test of time.

Now that I’ve explained. Do you think that philosophy is still useless? It is not some obscure skill that makes you look smart. Philosophy provides an insight into life. Most people spend their life “asleep” without purpose or direction. Philosophy wakes you up and gives your life purpose and directions. It provides a foundation and model for your personal development. That is why I want to pursue in studying philosophy.