Pearl: A Symbol of Love in The Scarlet Letter | Teen Ink

Pearl: A Symbol of Love in The Scarlet Letter

By klingy BRONZE, Cedar Hills, Utah
klingy BRONZE, Cedar Hills, Utah

Napped half the day; no one punished me! ~ Kobayashi Issa

As the Chinese Philosopher Lao Tzu once said, “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” Pearl, from Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter, exemplifies both facets of this principle. As a character, her preeminent purpose is to act as a symbol to the reader. She possesses an otherworldly demeanor that allows her to see things the other characters cannot. In the end, when her symbolism has served its purpose and Dimmesdale passes away, the book says, “a spell was broken.” (Hawthorne 233). This “spell” refers to Pearl’s clairvoyance, which she has no use for after her mother’s troubles are over--she becomes a fully flesh and blood figure. Although she may not behave realistically as a young child, she acts as a powerful symbol of love in Hawthorne’s novel.

Unquestionably, the strongest love present in the novel is that between Hester and her daughter Pearl. In characterizing Pearl, Hawthorne touts her as, “[Hester’s] sole treasure, whom she had bought so dear, and who was all her world” (82), illustrating Hester’s adoration of her daughter. Additionally, the book describes Hester as, “Alone in the world, cast off by it, and with this sole treasure to keep her heart alive” (100). Even though the other residents of the settlement do not connect to the Prynnes, their familiar bond transcends the isolation. Pearl was her mother’s source of strength during the hardest times. The relationship between mother and child is clearly significant, and portraying Pearl as a constant recipient of her mother’s love sets her up as a clear symbol in the novel.

Beyond showing love within her family, Pearl shows affection to the very man responsible for her condition; she is able to forgive Dimmesdale for not acknowledging her publicly. At first, she is put off by Dimmesdale’s inexplicable changes in behavior, saying, “he kisses my forehead, too, so that the little brook would hardly wash it off! But, here, in the sunny day, and among all the people, he knows us not; nor must we know him!” (209). Pearl is disappointed in him and his reluctance to support them. However, when Dimmesdale confesses his damning sin and says, “dear little Pearl, wilt thou kiss me now?” (233). Pearl happily runs to him and kisses him. Ultimately, Pearl loves Dimmesdale even though he is too recreant to help her or her mother. True love always forgives, and Pearl’s actions show that she can as well.

Furthermore, Pearl serves as a symbol by providing an interesting take on Hester’s Scarlet Letter. Whereas the villagers and members of authority see the “A” as a sign of sin and evil, Pearl sees a beautiful symbol that embodies her mother. Pearl takes this idea to an extreme when she fails to recognize her mother entirely when she removes the letter from her bosom. When Hester asks, “Dost thou know, child, wherefore thy mother wears this letter?” (161), Pearl replies by connecting it to Dimmesdale and her mother’s beauty. Pearl rejuvenates her mother by innocently linking a negative sign to a positive trait of Hester. Furthermore, throughout the novel Pearl makes life easier for Hester when she is feeling alienated because of her perceived transgressions. Just like those in love, Pearl has the ability to redeem anything, and sees beauty even in the downtrodden.

In the most intrinsic way, Pearl is also a constant reminder of a more carnal love: Hester's love for Dimmesdale. Although largely understated in the book, it is clear that Hester and Dimmesdale must have loved each other deeply to go against their society and commit adultery. Pearl is the result of that love, and inseparably connects the pair.  In the forest, when Hester and Dimmesdale are sitting together, the book reads, “In Pearl was visible the tie that united them” (188). Puritan society would have considered an adulterer and a minister utter opposites, yet these two characters shared Pearl. In the same way that Pearl lovingly uplifts Hester, she lovingly grounds Dimmesdale from his exalted calling.

Hawthorne cleverly champions love through Pearl. Pearl serves to show the audience what love is, because she herself personifies many of its attributes. Pearl compensates for the evil or negative, forgives quickly, and is a light in even the darkest situations. Because of this, she has the ability to see past the mundane facades of the world. As H. Jackson Brown Jr. said, “Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye.”