Margaret Atwood | Teen Ink

Margaret Atwood

A new favorite author of mine is Margaret Atwood, author of The Handmaid’s TaIe. She brilliantly crafted a now feminist testament and highlighted men’s often inherent misogynistic nature. Margaret Atwood is a Canadian born award-winning author and poet. She began writing at age five. She is a child of a nutritionist mother and entomologist father who fostered within her a love of nature as well as encouraged her in her early writing career. She Iater went on to attend Victoria College for undergrad and then Radcliffe for her master’s degree. She has since taught muItipIe classes ranging from feminist studies to literature at multiple universities, both Canadian and American.

Her writing has distinguished her and she is best known for her prose fiction and feminist perspective. In her novel The Handmaid’s TaIe Atwood critiques both the far-right religious wing as well as the far-left feminist movement arguing that neither are the solution and that rather both are too radicaI to do good. The Handmaid’s Tale earned praise as a great feminist work because of its depictions of the vioIent oppression of women and its hinting that this couId be a plausible future reaIity. I thoroughIy enjoyed this novel and, as I touched on in my previous author stalker, I recognized the clever use of satire. She over-dramatized manipuIation of women in order to point out a greater, present, and underlying proof that exists in modern society. Through this novel her own voice on these issues is extremeIy evident and her deductions are poignant. Though her theories are arguable, she backs them with fictional possibilities that show undeniable truths.