For Love or Money? | Teen Ink

For Love or Money?

March 13, 2019
By BEllaK BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
BEllaK BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

From the common housewife to the suffragette to the CEO of a multimillion dollar company and everything in between, women have come a long way from the somewhat simple lives they lived in the 1800s, the time Pride and Prejudice takes place.  Women in the 1800s were expected to cook, clean, and tend to the household as well as the children while their husbands were either at work making money to support the family or spending leisure time with companions.  Therefore, women such as the Bennet sisters lived lives of conformity and servitude, while they made their way as young women in the 1800s. However, women such as Elizabeth Bennet were able to stray from the norm by marrying for love and equality in the 1800s.  In Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, the traditional roles of women of the era are portrayed by Charlotte Lucas, Lydia Bennet, and Mrs. Bennet, who marry for financial stability and social standing; however, this common role is challenged by Elizabeth Bennet, who expresses Austen’s desire to elevate women who go against the grain of society by marrying for love and remaining true to their beliefs.

Charlotte Lucas exhibits the life of a traditional woman at the time of the novel as she marries Mr. Collins for financial stability while overlooking his faults in an effort to secure her place on the social ladder. Charlotte is a simple and intelligent girl who does not want to be made aware of her husband’s problems as she states, “It is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life” (Austen 18).  This careless stance on marriage shows Charlotte’s strong belief that it is only a matter of the social and financial security the union will offer her (“Overview” 2). Although her best friend, Elizabeth Bennet, believes that Mr. Collins is a “conceited, pompous, narrow-minded, silly man,” Charlotte seems to be conscious of her current status as a “well-educated young woman of small fortune,” at “the age of twenty-seven, without having ever been handsome” (Austen 107, 117). Therefore, she believes marriage is simply an inescapable option in contrast to being a poor spinster her whole life (Dabundo 42).  Charlotte’s unyielding ability to make her marriage work causes her to ignore both Elizabeth’s advice and the fact that Elizabeth declines Mr. Collins’ proposal as she tells Charlotte, “If you find that misery … equivalent to the happiness of being his wife, I advise you … to refuse him” (Austen 104). Charlotte’s lack of care for the cautionary tale Elizabeth tells proves that she is willing to lower her standards for the life she desires (Ten Harmsel 154). When Elizabeth questions Charlotte about her future happiness, Charlotte responds, “I am not romantic, you know. I never was” (Austen 109). Her quick response shows Charlotte’s desire for practicality over love when marrying Mr. Collins. Because of Charlotte’s focus on money, she “accepted him [Mr. Collins] solely for the pure and uninterested desire of an establishment,” due to the fact that “his prospects for future wealth were exceedingly fair” (Austen 106).  Her choice to marry Collins for his wealth as well as to excite her parents reiterates society’s view that the main purposes of marriage were to keep from “dying an old maid” and to secure a wealthy position (Austen 107). In the novel, Charlotte’s ability to overlook Collins’ faults is shown when Elizabeth notices that when Collins “said anything of which is wife might reasonably be ashamed,” Charlotte simply ignores his statement (Austen 137).  The fact that Charlotte is willing to disregard Mr. Collins’ “abominably rude” (Austen 137) comments shows the common role of women at the time: one of forced obliviousness (Mudrick 21). Charlotte Lucas’ ability to overlook her husband’s flaws and willingness to conform to society’s standards shows that she encompasses the traits of a typical woman at the time of Pride and Prejudice.

 

Lydia Bennet is another example of a classic woman in the 1800s; since she is careless and chases men, she is an immature version of Charlotte, one who looks for stability rather than love in a marriage. At only fifteen years old, Lydia is the youngest and most absurd of the Bennet sisters as she devotes all of her time to collecting gossip about her neighbors, spending money irresponsibly, and flirting with young militiamen from Meryton (“Overview” 2). Due to the fact that Lydia cares not about her education and her need to marry, she is the most immature of her sisters, but she is brought her into society at an early age to be wed despite her headstrong nature (Telgen 288).  One of Lydia’s faults is that she does not learn from her mistakes the way Elizabeth and Darcy do throughout the novel. Instead, she is an “inconvenience to her family” as she puts her sisters’ potential prospect list in jeopardy by acting “vain, ignorant, and absolutely uncontrolled” (Austen 197-199) in the eyes of society and often causes shame to her family (“Pride” 1). Her unfledged actions, such as her public outbursts, could cause her and her sisters’ lives to fall apart without chance of redemption (Dabundo 46). Despite the fact that Lydia’s reckless actions occasionally contrast that of a typical woman at the time, her constant inquiring about men shows that she is willing to conform to the patrilineal society. Lydia displays her obsession with romantic relationships when she asks her sisters, “Have you seen any pleasant men?  Have you had any flirting?” (Austen 189). She also states, “I cried for two days together when Colonel Millar’s regiment went away. I thought I should have broke my heart,” her sadness shows that while she was not spent much time with men, they are all that captivate her young mind (Austen 198). As a result, she, like Charlotte Lucas, falls victim to the double standard against women. The common societal view that one must marry early is expressed when Lydia worries greatly about “not being married before three and twenty” (Austen 189).

Shortly after she expresses her fear to her family, she and Wickham elope with the promise of “less than ten thousand pounds” because, as Mr. Bennet states, “No man would marry Lydia on so slight a temptation” (Austen 259). Wickham’s deal for money as a trade for Lydia’s hand in marriage shows that their marriage is one of social ranking and stability rather than love. Lydia is also compared to Charlotte when her sisters state that “with such a husband, her misery was considered certain” (Austen 264).  Her lack of care for a relationship that will result in her being miserable reiterates the fact that Lydia is similar to most women at her time as she does not worry about her happiness in marriage. Lydia Bennet’s immature personality, fixation on chasing men, and willingness to succumb to society’s expectations lead her to exemplify the archetypal traits of women at her time.

Mrs. Bennet, the mother of the five Bennet women, shows the role of a mother during the time of Pride and Prejudice through her constant desire to marry off her daughters to wealthy gentlemen to ensure their future societal status.  Mrs. Bennet’s “business of her life was to get her daughters married,” by limiting her daughters’ education, focusing primarily on cultivating their manners, and encouraging suitability for the affluent men in society (Austen 3).  However, Mrs. Bennet does not hold herself to these same standards as she disregards many of the common social graces and says and does as she pleases (“Pride” 2). For example, Mrs. Bennet is not afraid to threaten Mr. Darcy by telling him, “After abusing you so abominably to your face, I could have no scruple in abusing you to all your relations” (Austen 318). Although she occasionally steps out of line, Mrs. Bennet cares about her daughters’ opportunities as shown by her excitement when the Netherfield Ball is announced when she exclaims, “What a fine thing for our girls!” (Austen 1) and states that it “is very likely that he may fall in love with one of them” (Austen 19).  Mrs. Bennet is diligent in working to marry off all of her daughters quickly because the potential to lose Bennet estate is looming which could lead to the family’s humiliation as their daughters are not wed (Wylie 2). Austen uses satire to show that if the society of the 1800s was less of a patriarchy, men such as Mr. Bennet would not be in charge of the family fortune and mothers such as Mrs. Bennet would not be subject to serving their husbands. Mr. Bennet openly mocks his wife and daughters by using sarcasm to poke fun at their current situation. He tells Mrs. Bennet “How can you be so tiresome?” when she is speaking of an important opportunity for their girls (Austen 14).  After many years of poor treatment by her husband, Mrs. Bennet finally stands up to Mr. Bennet: “Mr. Bennet how can you abuse your own children in such a way? You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion for my poor nerves” (Austen 2). This constantly unequal relationship between her parents makes Elizabeth realize that she would rather marry for equality despite her husband’s status (“Overview” 2). Overall, Mrs. Bennet’s mission to marry off all of her daughters is her fundamental purpose for the majority of the novel. Her lack of social grace and care for her children sometimes causes setbacks; however, Mr. Bennet's ridicule does not prohibit Mrs. Bennet from accomplishing her goal.  Mrs. Bennet is an example of a common woman and mother at the time of Pride and Prejudice as she conforms to the wishes of her husband and falls into her role of matchmaker as she works unceasingly to marry off all five of her daughters.

Elizabeth Bennet is unlike her mother as she shows the contrast from typical women of her time as she looks to marry for only love and stays true to her opinionated nature. Elizabeth originally believes that Mr. Darcy was prejudiced: “I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine” (Austen 21).  She believes that her initial opinions of people are infallible; however, once she begins to overlook Darcy’s prejudice, she begins to fall in love with him despite her original opinion (“Overview” 1). Elizabeth’s stubborn nature also leads her to initially look at Charlotte with disdain when she desires to marry Mr. Collins, and Elizabeth even calls her a “very headstrong foolish girl” for doing so (Austen 96). However, Elizabeth begins to overcome her prejudice and accept Charlotte’s decision even though she does not agree (Morgan 155). In their marriage, Darcy has to first learn to respect Elizabeth for the unique woman she is which ultimately makes him a better person as he is humbled by her decline of his initial proposal.  After her rejection, Darcy changes for the better and even apologizes for his wrongdoings: “by every civility in my power, that I was not so mean as to resent the past; and I hoped to obtain your forgiveness, to lessen your ill opinion, by letting you see that your reproofs had been attended to” (Austen 317). Through his change, Elizabeth is convinced that she wants to marry Darcy because he treats her with the respect she demands in marriage. This love and equality Elizabeth desires with Darcy contrasts that of her parents’ marriage of which Elizabeth “never wanted the means” (Austen 142). Due to the fact that Elizabeth so badly wants to avoid having the same relationship as her parents, her determined personality almost ruins her chances with Darcy as she begins to rule him out before properly getting to know him (“Pride” 1).   However, Elizabeth and Darcy are well matched as they are both in love with one another and have respect for the other person. Elizabeth even realizes that Darcy is hospitable at his estate, which intrigues her (Dabundo 46-49). She begins to realize “that he was exactly the man who, in disposition and talents, would most suit her” (Austen 266). Therefore, she chooses to go against societal norms by marrying him because she falls in love with his personality and appreciates his respect for her. From marrying for status to arranged marriages, Elizabeth’s views diverge from those of her female peers. She acts as the only woman in Pride and Prejudice who is willing to defy society and marry Mr. Darcy for love and equality because she knows it will make her most happy in life.

The roles of women over time have changed greatly; however, the true desire for love and stability has always remained constant.  Although characters such as Charlotte Lucas, Lydia Bennet, and Mrs. Bennet are subjected to societal norms in Pride and Prejudice, marriage was always at the forefront of their desires and duties as women.  Charlotte Lucas and Lydia Bennet both conform as they marry at a young age for financial stability despite their husbands’ poor personalities. Mrs. Bennet, on the other hand, gives the reader insight into the role of a mother in the early 1800s by marrying off her daughters and succumbing to the needs of her husband  without complaint. Most conversely, Elizabeth Bennet stands as a contrast to all women of her time as she resists the society’s wishes by choosing her husband on the basis of love and equality. In spite of their differences, these women are all in search of someone with whom to spend the rest of their lives, even though the situation is different for each woman. Women today have more freedom in whom they choose to marry; however, they are still faced with the same question: for love or money?  Women can choose to follow the example of Charlotte Lucas, Lydia Bennet, and Mrs. Bennet to guarantee stability by “marrying up,” or they can follow in the path of Elizabeth and marry for true love and equality.


Works Cited

Austen, Jane, and Robert P. Irvine. Pride and Prejudice. Peterborough, Ont: Broadview Press, 2002. Print.

Dabundo, Laura. “The Feminist Critique.” Critical Insights: Pride and Prejudice, edited by Laurence W. Mazzeno, Salem Press, 2012, pp. 40-49.

Morgan, Susan. “Intelligence in Pride and Prejudice.” Bloom’s Major Literary Characters: Elizabeth Bennet, edited by Harold Bloom, Chelsea House Publishers, 2004, pp. 155.  

Mudrick, Marvin. “Irony as Discrimination: Pride and Prejudice.” Bloom’s Major Literary Characters: Elizabeth Bennet, edited by Harold Bloom, Chelsea House Publishers, 2004, pp. 20-21.

"Overview: Pride and Prejudice.” Characters in 19th-Century Literature, edited by Kelly King Howes, Gale, 1993. Literature Resource Center. Accessed 8 Oct. 2018.

“Pride and Prejudice.” Novels for Students, Edited by Diane Telgen, vol. 1, Gale, 1997, pp. 288-289.

Ten Harmsel, Henrietta. “Pride and Prejudice.” Bloom’s Major Literary Characters: Elizabeth Bennet, edited by Harold Bloom, Chelsea House Publishers, 2004, pp. 80-83.

Wylie, Judith. "Dancing in Chains: Feminist Satire in Pride and Prejudice. (Miscellany). “Persuasions: The Jane Austen Journal, vol. 22, 2000, p. 62+. Literature Resource. Accessed 8 Oct. 2018.


The author's comments:

This is my insight on the role of women in the novel Pride and Prejudice.