Investigative Article | Teen Ink

Investigative Article

Students have been seen with very disorganized lockers, so many people suggest the school should have a monthly locker clean out. When you walk the halls you can see things hanging out of lockers and when you open them up you see the mess inside.

When a student’s locker is messy it becomes easier for them to lose things or have trouble finding something they need for class. This may lead to them being late to class, which is a problem for teachers.

Someone’s messy locker might even make their neighbors locker hard to open and make them late for class. Last Tuesday, January 8th, a girls locker was jammed. This student then had to walk to the opposite side of the school to go to the office to get someone to open her locker. After walking back to her locker she had to wait for a janitor to come open her jammed locker so she could get her stuff for her next class.

When he fixed her locker, he opened the locker next to her and saw that it was an utter disaster. This student’s messy locker costed another student to miss class.

Kids at Park View say this problem could be easily avoided if locker clean outs happened one time a month, instead of just 2 times a year.

One student said, “ If I was able to have locker clean out one time a month I would be able to be more organized and find everything I need for class.” -Maddigan DeBoth Many students agree with Maddigan and say that they would be able to find everything they need in their lockers better if students had the opportunity to clean out their locker once a month.

If students had clean lockers and were able to find everything they needed to bring to class, this would limit the number of students who have to go back to their locker to get something they couldn’t find before class started.

Most of the advice that is given to students coming into middle school is “Keep your locker very clean and organized”, but it is easy to have your locker get cluttered quickly. With monthly cleanouts students believe this problem could be solved.