Advice from a Fifteen-Year-Old | Teen Ink

Advice from a Fifteen-Year-Old

By kaycieembry BRONZE, Mason, Ohio
kaycieembry BRONZE, Mason, Ohio

The teen years. A time filled with awkward growth spurts, acne, and puberty. The part of every human’s lifespan that is the most absolute worst. Or could oddly be a special time of your life. As someone who is currently right in the middle of that stage--I don’t recommend it. But it’s not like you have a choice right?

Right, but no matter if you like the phenomenon or not. I found that while becoming a teen and entering high school, I could have used some of the things I have learned now, a few years ago.

On cue, here are a few things I have learned myself and from others throughout the years:

Love yourself.

If I had to bring up only one point, this would be it. I’m sure you have heard this many times, and looking back on the past I truly don’t know how many times I have heard this myself. Sure, it can be annoying. But thinking about it now I appreciate the many times it was said to me (even if it took me a while to finally listen).  Especially since it’s such an essential part of growing up and enjoying the things you do in life.

Read. Even if you don’t like to. Find a genre or author you enjoy and just read.

Surround yourself with people that support you, your goals, and are just good people.

This is important! These people should inspire you to be a better person and work hard to achieve your goals. (Even if they are as simple as doing homework.) And if someone close to you is doing the opposite, cut off the relationship.

Volunteer.

You have a voice, don’t be afraid to use it! Even if it’s only just raising your hand and answering a question in class. Or something on a larger scale like protesting or just speaking your mind.

Stay positive. Even when things are looking down.

Having a negative outlook on life isn’t going to help you in the long run.

Take on a hobby.  It doesn't have to be anything serious. Just something to do when you're free.

Your past does not define you, or anyone else. Grow from your past and rise up from it. Whether it was sensational or wasn’t quite there.

Do what makes you happy. If you do things that don’t make you happy, how would you expect to enjoy life?

Recycle.

Say “thank you”. Say “please”. Say “I’m sorry”.

Don’t procrastinate. Nothing good ever comes out when you procrastinate. It’ll only end up stressing you at to no end.

It’s okay to not have everything planned out.

I swear, it is. Everything and everyone is always changing. Nothing ever stays quite the same, and no one should expect a future to not change. It’s the future, you couldn’t predict it. (As much as I wish we could.)

Value each and every person in your life. Even if their impact wasn’t exactly positive.

And if you move this to the back of your mind with all the other files and cabinets labeled with a ‘useless’, at least remember to love anything and everything about yourself. 

Being a teen sucks sometimes. I think getting advice from someone to help with that--even in a small way--is major.