I Am Who I Am Because | Teen Ink

I Am Who I Am Because

April 23, 2017
By TheVoiceoftheSilent SILVER, Westlake, Ohio
TheVoiceoftheSilent SILVER, Westlake, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore


"I am fat because I eat my feelings."

"I am an athlete because I like being on a team."

"I am a ginger because I was born this way, I have red hair, I have many many freckles, and I burn like crazy."

"I am a mother because loss of a child can't rob me of that."

"I am weak because I am chronically ill."

"I am a librarian because I fight for literacy and access to information."

"I am a soulmate because my husband's love for me is unshakeable."

"I am a role model because my niece looks up to me."

"I am a jealous person because I can't seem to stop comparing myself to others."

"I'm nonbinary because I was born this way, not because I want to be different."

"I'm not good in school because of my mental illness."

"I love karate because I can't stand being fragile, I want to protect myself and others."

"I am a survivor because I have been through loss and abuse."

 

Special thanks to everyone who shared their stories and helped make this!


The author's comments:

For this project I reached out to some members of a group I am a part of to share their stories. The goal of this is to show how we aren't all the same. I'm currently involved in my journey to self-acceptance. During this time I have to acknowledge who I am and why I am this way. My belief is that in order to accept ourselves we have to figure out why we are a certain way. To make a postive change towards that future we have to acknowledge the past and present. I hope that hearing all these stories will help on everyone on their journey to self-acceptance.