I Am Who I Am Because | Teen Ink

I Am Who I Am Because

By TheVoiceoftheSilent SILVER, Westlake, Ohio
TheVoiceoftheSilent SILVER, Westlake, Ohio

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore

"I am fat because I eat my feelings."

"I am an athlete because I like being on a team."

"I am a ginger because I was born this way, I have red hair, I have many many freckles, and I burn like crazy."

"I am a mother because loss of a child can't rob me of that."

"I am weak because I am chronically ill."

"I am a librarian because I fight for literacy and access to information."

"I am a soulmate because my husband's love for me is unshakeable."

"I am a role model because my niece looks up to me."

"I am a jealous person because I can't seem to stop comparing myself to others."

"I'm nonbinary because I was born this way, not because I want to be different."

"I'm not good in school because of my mental illness."

"I love karate because I can't stand being fragile, I want to protect myself and others."

"I am a survivor because I have been through loss and abuse."

Special thanks to everyone who shared their stories and helped make this!

For this project I reached out to some members of a group I am a part of to share their stories. The goal of this is to show how we aren't all the same. I'm currently involved in my journey to self-acceptance. During this time I have to acknowledge who I am and why I am this way. My belief is that in order to accept ourselves we have to figure out why we are a certain way. To make a postive change towards that future we have to acknowledge the past and present. I hope that hearing all these stories will help on everyone on their journey to self-acceptance.