Why Do We Conform? | Teen Ink

Why Do We Conform?

March 15, 2016
By Anonymous

True nonconformity can never be achieved- and yet nobody believes that they are a conformist. Even once we look at the definition of conformity; complying with standards, rules, or laws, or behavior in accordance with socially accepted conventions or standards- and recognize that we do those things- we still look upon ourselves and believe that, as individuals, of course we are nonconformists. Because we are unique, special snowflakes and everyone else is boring and the same. In all truth, we conform because everyone conforms to a certain degree because of the way our society is structured and because of the nature we share as human beings. This doesn’t necessarily equate to a total loss of individuality- but even nonconformists share a bond of nonconformity that creates another, homogenous group, and true nonconformity can never be achieved. Thus, we conform as more of a de facto phenomenon- we conform because it just happens.


Why do we all assume that we’re nonconformist? Most of us, at a first glance, are quite similar to our peers in our daily lives- we work, study, shop, and live on pretty comparable standards. Yet if you were to ask an individual whether they considered themselves a conformist or a nonconformist, the answer would overwhelmingly be non-conformist. Why is it that we label ourselves a standalone from a group so quickly? Why do we deem everyone around us part of a herd we’re exclusive from? The phenomenon, although I prefer to call it “special snowflake syndrome”, is known as outgroup homogeneity. Our brains, in an attempt to quickly analyze the world around us, lump everything, including people, into categories. One of these categories can be summed up as “people like me” and “people unlike me”. The “people unlike me” group is known as your outgroup- and can be based off of race, gender, profession, age, or any other discriminating factor between you and everyone around you. Outgroup homogeneity is essentially a generalization made about a certain outgroup that lumps them together. Ever hear a sophomore in high school claim, “All freshman are the same!”, but when asked about their own group of peers, claim each is unique? “Well, my grade is different, I guess”. That’s outgroup homogeneity. However, seeing outgroup homogeneity stretch so far as to deem everyone else BESIDES you as your outgroup, and you’re the only fish swimming upstream is a new level of this social phenomenon. Even as you rebel against the norm, you create a new ingroup-people with similar beliefs- and although you aren’t the only ones to have the same beliefs, you believe you are still individual nonconformists- even though you just created a new group to conform to. So can true nonconformity exist if your ideas, beliefs, or actions are shared?


Although this paradox of being a lone fish swimming upstream (that is, until more fish decide not to conform, and all of the sudden, the stream changes direction) seems all consuming, it isn’t a complete cease to individuality. Often, conformity is a result of how society is structured- on the outside, we can appear to be sheeple who go through the motions of life, simply because of our jobs, school life, or other group activities. Take the piece of text The Unknown Citizen by W.H. Auden. In this, the life of a deceased man is described entirely by the bureaus, boards, corporations, and industries that define our lives on paper. It seems dehumanizing- but when it comes down to it, to anyone who we haven’t met, we become social security numbers, birthdays, voter registration identification numbers, student identification numbers, and brief descriptors of ourselves- EYE: BRO. HAIR: BRO. HT: 5’3”. When we are identified in this aspect, it’s truly difficult to be a nonconformist- when we become a licensed driver, or a voter, or we fill out a census, we conform subconsciously by adding ourselves to a new group. This isn’t necessarily our fault- we don’t lose any of our individuality when we become family member #3 on a FAFSA form. It merely appears that way on the outside, similar to the Unknown Citizen.


So why do we conform? We very clearly don’t think we do- most of us identify as a nonconformist. Conformity in our society today is almost a de facto phenomenon- none of us really intend to conform, it’s just something that happens with the way our society is structured. No matter how special we think we are, there are 7 billion people on the planet, and at least someone is similar to each of us- true nonconformity can never be achieved. None of us can be the lone fish swimming upstream. However, this doesn’t strip us of our uniqueness. The individuality of each person on the planet is indeterminable from the surface- perhaps that’s why we think everyone is monotonous. It takes people who know and love us to see our true character and distinguish each other from the crowd. That’s when we can be recognized for our uniqueness, and stand out in the group for nothing else than being ourselves.