If I Were an Indian Woman | Teen Ink

If I Were an Indian Woman

By Positivity_At_Its_Finest DIAMOND, Morrow, Georgia
Positivity_At_Its_Finest DIAMOND, Morrow, Georgia

Life is a stage, get on it and perform your best act.

I feel so hopeless and sad! I've been pregnant four times and all of them have been girls. I can't control the sex of my baby, it's not like I have a magical liquid that will make me have a son. Each time I conceive a girl, I get brutally punished. My face has been burned, I've been beaten with sticks, my wrist has been broken, and I've been stabbed in the stomach.

Why is this my life? Why has God let this happen to me? As a little girl, I dreamed of being a happy, vibrant young woman. I'm living the complete opposite; everyday is filled with nothing but torture and sadness, what's the point of living now? Maybe I shoukd kill myself, at least I won't have to suffer anymore. It's not the best decision, but it's the only way I see myself ever being free.

I watched a documentary in school that revealed what women in India have to endure if they don't conceive a boy. Not only do women get abused, but if the child is a girl, a forced abortion takes place. I knew that women in other countries were denied their natural rights, but I didn't realize it was this bad. I feel sorry for these women, maybe one day I can help them. This was an assignment the teacher gave everyone after we were done watching it; it's our own POV, as if we were them.

Yes! That is the name of it!

KMG28 SILVER said...
KMG28 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than I

Was it called "Its a Girl"? I am a high school student and also watched a documentary on the same subject. We have to appreciate the blessed lives we live and if we can, someday, help the ill-fated. I'm glad this issue is being put out there.